Ram / Display / Storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cydspal, Jan 23, 2008.

1. cydspal macrumors member

Putting together my first mac pro and I am clear (thanks to this forum) not to get my Ram from Apple. So, what is the best source and amount of Ram I should get for a new Mac Pro with two 2.8 quad core?

What about where to look for a nice sized display 23+" and external storage choices (should I look at time caspule?) Thanks!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. cydspal thread starter macrumors member

Any suggestions on the amount of Ram to get (I will get no more than entry level from Apple).

Any display suggestions?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

>4GB ram and youll unlock the Mac Pros potential and see some real speed.

for a mac pro you should look at good quality TFT panel displays like the Dell UltraSharp or Apple Cinema Display. the TN panel displays like the Samsungs and LGs have a lower quality screen and as a consequence are cheaper and they have less inputs like connectivity and USB.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Regarding the displays, there is no "best display." The best display for photography is the worst display for gaming. You can get middle-ground diplays that use an S-PVA LCD panel inside, but it's really difficult to tell what type of LCD panel is used in a display. This type of display should give you decent response time, and decent colour accuracy. It's a balance, if that's what you're after.

Here is a list of the type of LCD panel is used in each display. LCD Panel type

6. cydspal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! I will be using it for internet and video / photo editing, no gaming.

7. dmb3886 macrumors regular

wow thanks man, ive been looking for a site like that. you think that an internal hard drive would be better than an external? (upgrade)

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think it cleans up your desk space if you occupy your internal hard drive bays rather than getting more external hard drives.