Ram Expansion on new MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrscrouge, Apr 20, 2010.

1. mrscrouge macrumors member

i just got a 15" i7 w/ 4gb of ram, and since i might want to upgrade to 8, i went to the apple website and i see that they only offer 8gb available for sale? does this mean I will have to get 4GB somewhere else, or the new MBPs only offer 2 configurations (2x2GB or 2x4GB) and not 2 (2x2GB)s . I might sound confusing :confused:

2. ApplePu macrumors regular

i would highly recommend to get it somewhere else....the expansion ram in the apple store is really overpriced. you'll get it cheaper and with longer warranty anywhere else....

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Your post is confusing.

As the MBP only has two slots for RAM sticks, to get 8GB of RAM you have to get 2 x 4GB RAM sticks. Currently there are 2 x 2GB inside the MBP.

www.macsales.com offers RAM at a lower price.

4. trjwv macrumors regular

MBP's only have 2 slots. Your options are 2 x 2 or 2 x 4. I ordered 2 x 4 on my new MBP 15" i7 because the price on the extra ram from apple was cheaper than buying aftermarket. this wasn't the case last year but Apple's ram price has decreased. Guess they were tired of losing the sale on the extra ram.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It wasn't really cheaper, as they took the 2 x 2GB that were in it anyway and charged you for the remaining 4GB.
    If you would have bought it somewhere else, you would've paid almost the same price and still got 2 x 2GB sticks to sell.

6. mrscrouge thread starter macrumors member

oh ok. understood.. i was counting on 4 slots. thanks , so im facing 400$ to upgrade, though i can always sell my current 2x2

7. wschutz macrumors 6502

Two sticks that you will not sell, because now 4 Gb. is the standard... :) and it's been ages since it was a standard...

Actually I didn't consider 8Gb. from Apple until I realize what it is said here, it is more or less the same price. In my case... 8 Gb. would be around 440 euros if I buy them somewhere else, and 4 Gb. are 120 euros... Apple's price is 330 euros extra (student price)... therefore... that's the first thing I see from Apple that it isn't utterly overpriced...