macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Old 2006 Mac book pro
2.16 intel core duo
Ati video card 256 Mbs
Only 2 gb of mem

Obviously it's just to start., looking at trying to learn "x" code on it , that said how can I find out where to get more memory for it & up to how much can I bump I up too?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You'll need DDR2 ram for that bad boy. It will only be able to use a maximum of 3.3gb of RAM, so unless you think the 300mb will be important, you can get by with a 2gb chip and a 1gb chip, and save a few dollars.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
You can bump up to 4GB. Give this a look. Just buy whatever RAM is cheapest that meets the specs listed on that page.
according to the link, I am stuck with a 2GB max

You'll need DDR2 ram for that bad boy. It will only be able to use a maximum of 3.3gb of RAM, so unless you think the 300mb will be important, you can get by with a 2gb chip and a 1gb chip, and save a few dollars.
no issues with having 2 different capacity memory sticks?

tjgonzo

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
California
I have the same machine that I gave to a family member some years ago but, that machine (due to 32bit weirdness) will physically allow 4GB of ram to be installed but, in day to day use only be able to use 3.3GB of it.

To save money, I bought one 2GB stick to put in (1GB + 2GB sticks) and have found it to be a worthwhile upgrade to a machine that is still pumping 6 years later!

Here is the article if you are interested in specifics
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/faq/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-3-gb-memory-limitation-details.html

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I have the same machine that I gave to a family member some years ago but, that machine (due to 32bit weirdness) will physically allow 4GB of ram to be installed but, in day to day use only be able to use 3.3GB of it.

To save money, I bought one 2GB stick to put in (1GB + 2GB sticks) and have found it to be a worthwhile upgrade to a machine that is still pumping 6 years later!

Here is the article if you are interested in specifics
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/faq/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-3-gb-memory-limitation-details.html
mine is the earlier intel core duo . I cant even upgrade to Lion on it

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
I have two of the A1150 Core Duo models in my house, one of which I still use and the other is still functional but doesn't see a lot of use (been meaning to sell it). I can confirm that while I can physically put four gigs in, and works even with one two-gig DIMM, I've never gotten either machine to boot with more than two. An apparently artificial limitation, but a limitation nonetheless.

rampancy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
no issues with having 2 different capacity memory sticks?
You won't be able to see the additional speed boost that can be had from dual channel memory (which necessitates you having two of the same type of RAM), but some would argue that the extra speed boost (~5%, IIRC) isn't worth the extra cost.