RAM for 2006 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkcerda, Jun 16, 2013.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Old 2006 Mac book pro
    2.16 intel core duo
    Ati video card 256 Mbs
    Only 2 gb of mem

Obviously it's just to start., looking at trying to learn "x" code on it , that said how can I find out where to get more memory for it & up to how much can I bump I up too?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can bump up to 4GB. Give this a look. Just buy whatever RAM is cheapest that meets the specs listed on that page.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You'll need DDR2 ram for that bad boy. It will only be able to use a maximum of 3.3gb of RAM, so unless you think the 300mb will be important, you can get by with a 2gb chip and a 1gb chip, and save a few dollars.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

according to the link, I am stuck with a 2GB max

no issues with having 2 different capacity memory sticks?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are correct. I misread and am an idiot. :eek:

6. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

its all good, I appreciate the help, just caught me a tad off guard when I started reading, is there a tutorial for going from PC to Mac anywhere?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

Some good info and videos at Apple's site. Also this book by David Pogue is really great.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thanks, getting started :D while this thing is a bit old, it's still pretty snappy. its a bit weird Firefox has replaced safari, not sure how to get safari re-installed , lots to learn

9. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

I have the same machine that I gave to a family member some years ago but, that machine (due to 32bit weirdness) will physically allow 4GB of ram to be installed but, in day to day use only be able to use 3.3GB of it.

To save money, I bought one 2GB stick to put in (1GB + 2GB sticks) and have found it to be a worthwhile upgrade to a machine that is still pumping 6 years later!

Here is the article if you are interested in specifics
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ore-2-duo-3-gb-memory-limitation-details.html

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

mine is the earlier intel core duo . I cant even upgrade to Lion on it

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

I have two of the A1150 Core Duo models in my house, one of which I still use and the other is still functional but doesn't see a lot of use (been meaning to sell it). I can confirm that while I can physically put four gigs in, and works even with one two-gig DIMM, I've never gotten either machine to boot with more than two. An apparently artificial limitation, but a limitation nonetheless.

12. rampancy macrumors regular

rampancy

You won't be able to see the additional speed boost that can be had from dual channel memory (which necessitates you having two of the same type of RAM), but some would argue that the extra speed boost (~5%, IIRC) isn't worth the extra cost.