Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I've read many of the threads regarding RAM pricing and configurations for the 6-Core systems. I planned on ordering my Pro with 6Gb instead of the default 3GB, but my friend at Apple forgot when he placed the order.

From what I understand RAM module placement and type may significantly impact system performance for this platform. As I need to double the RAM, should I purchase 3x1GB modules to add or purchase 3x2GB models and sell the 3x1 that came with the system? Also, which is the best RAM retailer, OWC, Crucial, etc?

Thanks!!! :)

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I've read many of the threads regarding RAM pricing and configurations for the 6-Core systems. I planned on ordering my Pro with 6Gb instead of the default 3GB, but my friend at Apple forgot when he placed the order.

From what I understand RAM module placement and type may significantly impact system performance for this platform. As I need to double the RAM, should I purchase 3x1GB modules to add or purchase 3x2GB models and sell the 3x1 that came with the system? Also, which is the best RAM retailer, OWC, Crucial, etc?

Thanks!!! :)

Since you mentioned the default was 3 GB we will assume you are referring to the Hex MP which only has 4 mem slots. i.e. you will want to get 2GBx3, 4GBx3, or 8GBx3 for the fastest configurations. That said, real world tests indicate that double and even single channel Ram configurations don't have a big impact on overall system speed.

Several people have posted that the 2010's are pretty compliant as far as memory sources go. Just make sure the mem is the correct speed and has the temp sensor. The other threads have links to some good deals.

congrats on the new MP.
JohnG

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Since you mentioned the default was 3 GB we will assume you are referring to the Hex MP which only has 4 mem slots. i.e. you will want to get 2GBx3, 4GBx3, or 8GBx3 for the fastest configurations. That said, real world tests indicate that double and even single channel Ram configurations don't have a big impact on overall system speed.

Several people have posted that the 2010's are pretty compliant as far as memory sources go. Just make sure the mem is the correct speed and has the temp sensor. The other threads have links to some good deals.

congrats on the new MP.
JohnG

Thanks for the info, just what I was looking for, and yeah, forgot to mention it is the hex-core. I planned on the 8-Core but was talked out of it my many on here :).

So configuration doesn't truly make much of a difference in overall system speed eh. Hmmm, I'll probably go for the 2x3GB and sell the 3x1GB modules that come with the Mac. Can't wait for it to arrive. I'll check out the links, I know the RAM for the hex-Core is slightly more than the 2xQuad 8-Core so I'm all about getting a good deal.

I've used OWC, and they have good support.

I'll check it out. I've purchased through Crucial before but if OWC has better pricing for the same modules then I'm all over it.

Thanks again guys!

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
snip............

I'll check it out. I've purchased through Crucial before but if OWC has better pricing for the same modules then I'm all over it.

Thanks again guys!

My recommendation would be keep the 1GBx3 RAM factory ram modules. You will only get ~$10/each for them and it's always good to have a backup.

Also, you should check out the marketplace forum for excellent deals on used memory: https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/132/

FWIW, I recently purchased a set of 2GBx3 modules for $60 from someone on the MR's marketplace. :D. The dirty little secret is that your soon to arrive Hex can use the slower memory modules from heritage MP's and the slower RAM will not be noticed in real world apps. You might find another sweetheart deal (like I did) and then use the found $'s to purchase an SSD or data HD's.

cheers
JohnG

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
My recommendation would be keep the 1GBx3 RAM factory ram modules. You will only get ~$10/each for them and it's always good to have a backup.

clip

cheers
JohnG

You. Rock. That's fantastic, I was worried I'd have to dish out a couple hundred for another 3GB, with this news, I'll check it out and save money. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.