Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BananaDuffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Hi all,

I've just ordered my first ever mac :)
a 2.8Ghz referb + an iPod Touch.

The main uses are my wife's web/graphic design uni course and my dabbling in iPhone application/game development.

First off: are there any links to UK retailers with offers on the correct ram for the 2.8Ghz iMac? or any information like your guys proffered brands, etc.

Next up: I'm after some speakers for it, but I don't want to blow silly money on BOSE(etc) when outstanding audio capabilities will not really feature in the machines day to day use. Can anyone recommend a set that fall under £100 and will look nice next to the mac while doing a half decent job when needed?

Finally: I'm after opinions on available books for iPhone SDK development aimed at the experienced/professional programmer, covering objective-C, it's integration with C++ and and anything "mac-specific" that may be new to a C++/C#/Java coder who's never even touched a mac before... The internet's all well and good but I prefer having a book so I can read in bed/bath/etc as well as while at the PC.

Thanks in advance. :)

fr0

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II

Congrats on the new toy! The title says it all. I've had the Soundsticks for years and they sound fantastic. They're a little bit pricy, but they sound and LOOK fantastic. If you search around you can usually find a retailer or two that is significantly cheaper than the others (i.e. I found one that ~$40 less than the rest when I was buying a pair for my ex). See more here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?cat=MME&prod=SOUNDSTICKSII&sType=C

fr0

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I swear by the Logitech Z-4 speakers. Beautiful, and sound amazing. LOOOOOOVE them.
Come in black or white, has nice sound controls and a great volume dial. Again, LOOOOOVE them. :)

How much do you know about programming already? I picked up a book called "Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK" and its great.

BananaDuffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Those soundsticks look sexy... but the logitechs are cheaper... hmm but only by ~£35. decisions, decisions :confused:

As far as programming goes I've been doing it professionally for 4 years (using C like languages: Java, C++, C#), and games related projects as a hobby for about 5 or 6+; but never on an apple platform (only windows and web based).
So book wise I'm really after the mac specific nitty-gritty stuff that says "Ok you can code, so here's how to use Objective-C/Cocoa and cope with the iPhone/iPod-Touch nuances."....

Failing that a well written book on iPhone development that will really help stoke my excitement about development for the platform. As maintaining enthusiasm on hobby projects it the difference between finishing an app/game and the rest of the unfinished stuff in my projects folder ;)

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Those soundsticks look sexy... but the logitechs are cheaper... hmm but only by ~£35. decisions, decisions :confused:

As far as programming goes I've been doing it professionally for 4 years (using C like languages: Java, C++, C#), and games related projects as a hobby for about 5 or 6+; but never on an apple platform (only windows and web based).
So book wise I'm really after the mac specific nitty-gritty stuff that says "Ok you can code, so here's how to use Objective-C/Cocoa and cope with the iPhone/iPod-Touch nuances."....

Failing that a well written book on iPhone development that will really help stoke my excitement about development for the platform. As maintaining enthusiasm on hobby projects it the difference between finishing an app/game and the rest of the unfinished stuff in my projects folder ;)
I believe apple used to ship the soundsticks with some of their computers. They helped design them if I am correct. For the RAM: Crucial RAM. :)

BananaDuffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks guys I've just ordered my sound sticks :) from ebuyer

ebuyer also had some Kingston 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 that's specifically listed as being for the iMac 2008 20 inch/24 inch for £18.24/2GB dimm.

As i've never had a Mac before I was dreading having a problem and the vendor saying "You tried to stick it in an Apple What?-ing-tosh!?!" so took the mac specific listing to be guarantee against all that (it will take time but I will get over my mac-a-phobia ;)).

foshizzle

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007

BananaDuffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Thanks for the book info guys....
Markj's web site seems to be down though... hopefully its only temporary. But I managed to get to a version that google had cached...

So as per the last 2 recommendations I'll be ordering:

1) Beginning iPhone Development - Exploring the iPhone SDK
&
2) Learn Objective-C on the Mac

Thanks to everyone who posted and helped put my shopping list together :)
I'm well chuffed; I've managed to get a 2.8Ghz iMac, 16GB iPodTouch, 2gb Ram Upgrade, some sexy speakers, and 2 books for £50 less than the the new 2.9Ghz iMac would have cost me alone :D... I'm also assuming the 2008 iMacs came with the adult-sized keyboards??? so that might have saved me £30 aswell :)

BananaDuffle

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Missed the delivery of my imac today :(

But got my speakers and ram....

The sound quality on the soundsticks is very good for under £100 :) ... but they are much bigger (sub-woofer, more so) than they appeared in pictures and the cables are short... a combination which made finding a home for the sub-woofer a pain as its also oddly shaped :(

Also while they are instruments of aural pleasure... when viewed up close they resemble instruments of ...err... another kind of pleasure :eek:. I'm sure i'll cop some flack about that from my mates :rolleyes:

Thanks again all :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.