RAM for Early 2011 MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by APPLE-FANATIC, Aug 22, 2012.

1. APPLE-FANATIC macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the maximum for RAM for the Early 2011 MacBook Pro's, I currently I have 8gb installed, but was wanting to increase it a bit more....:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. aircanman macrumors 6502

Just out of interest, what are you doing with it in order to need more than 8GB ram?

4. APPLE-FANATIC thread starter macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

Just curious if it would run my system a bit faster, especially when running certain programs that cause the fans to spin out of control for 2 minutes or so :)

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

While 16GB dimms do exist, I am not really sure we'll see sodimms in such a form factor that will work with the current line. It may be something that you only really get with future macbook pros. The notebooks that can take 32GB are typically mobile workstations like the lenovos. They'll take 4 dimms in a notebook form factor. The lenovos aren't too bad. The others are massive hunks of metal that no one really likes to transport. If they own one, it's because no other notebook will really do the job.

That's not how it works. It can reduce the use of disk access for virtual memory. If a certain amount of heat is being generated by that it would reduce such heat generation. Overall more ram probably increases heat generated by memory by a negligible amount. I go with 16 because I run things that take a lot of ram. For a certain subset of tasks I could use even more.

6. simsaladimbamba