Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the maximum for RAM for the Early 2011 MacBook Pro's, I currently I have 8gb installed, but was wanting to increase it a bit more....:confused:

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the maximum for RAM for the Early 2011 MacBook Pro's, I currently I have 8gb installed, but was wanting to increase it a bit more....:confused:

Just out of interest, what are you doing with it in order to need more than 8GB ram?

APPLE-FANATIC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Texas
Just out of interest, what are you doing with it in order to need more than 8GB ram?

Just curious if it would run my system a bit faster, especially when running certain programs that cause the fans to spin out of control for 2 minutes or so :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
32 GB, but 16 GB is the current limit, as 8 GB 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules are currently the biggest capacity modules out there.

While 16GB dimms do exist, I am not really sure we'll see sodimms in such a form factor that will work with the current line. It may be something that you only really get with future macbook pros. The notebooks that can take 32GB are typically mobile workstations like the lenovos. They'll take 4 dimms in a notebook form factor. The lenovos aren't too bad. The others are massive hunks of metal that no one really likes to transport. If they own one, it's because no other notebook will really do the job.

Just curious if it would run my system a bit faster, especially when running certain programs that cause the fans to spin out of control for 2 minutes or so :)

That's not how it works. It can reduce the use of disk access for virtual memory. If a certain amount of heat is being generated by that it would reduce such heat generation. Overall more ram probably increases heat generated by memory by a negligible amount. I go with 16 because I run things that take a lot of ram. For a certain subset of tasks I could use even more.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.