RAM for eMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Jun 28, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Since i have to buy a new DELL charger for my laptop ( I have found one under $10). I was wondering if a couple of 1GB Sticks of DDR 266Mhz (PC2100?) Will work in the eMac (one in my sig)

EDIT: I found this RAM for under $10. Although it is DDR 400, will this particular RAM work? Last time I bought RAM for this thing (Komputerbay) it failed.

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

PC-3200 will downclock to PC-2700 speeds. Just makes sure it's low density(it probably is-I've never seen high density 1gb DDR-1).

Macs are sometimes "picky" about RAM. There's no guarantee that it will work perfectly, but there's no reason on paper why it wouldn't. If you want a guarantee on compatibility, buy from OWC. Otherwise, just do what I do and buy cheap RAM with the expectation that every once in a while I'm going to get a stick that's not "Mac Friendly" or even a complete dud.

3. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Thanks Bunn! For $7 guess I can't go wrong. This is a NEEDED thing. Since my eMac is my primary machine until I can upgrade my PowerMac, 512MB makes me want to take a hammer to this thing sometimes. I get away from the frusteration by using my laptop for anything more than web browsing.

Off-Topic but related:

I wanted to get a 500GB HDD for my laptop. The fan inside the laptop has failed, the ONLY source of cooling it gets is the laptop cooling fan i have on the bottom, (I took off the access covers so the fans cool the RAM and CPU). Right now my laptop has a 250GB 5400RPM SATA (II i believe) HDD inside of it. Will I notice a speed difference using a 7200RPM 500GB HDD? Mind you it has 2GB DDR2 667 RAM in it.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

In general, a 7200 rpm drive will be faster.

With that said, I'd look into a smallish SSD. They're cheap now(120gb ones are around $40-50, or about the same price as a 500gb 7200rpm drive), will be faster than any platter drive you can buy, and also run cooler. I've never been a fan of 7200rpm drives in laptops-in my experience they tend to be loud, uncomfortable(your hands are likely somewhere over the HDD, and drain the battery.

While you're at it, replace the fan. It should be cheap on Ebay.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I plan to replace the fan eventually. I ran it on a Fan mat anyways even whent he fan was working. The internal fan was making a awful grinding noise one day do i smacked it.... Hasn't worked since. Thanks for the SSD tiip. Been wanting one of those for awhile. Hopefully eBay has one for $25

6. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well I got the RAM today, It didn't work in eMac, Didn't work in Dell either but it DID work in my HP.