RAM for emac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by trainguy77, Dec 11, 2008.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

On CanadaRAM's website for the emac (usb1.1) the 512 mb sticks come in certified and kingston. Is the certified okay to go for? As the price different is rather large. I am thinking certified will be just fine.

I know canadaram will be here momentarily to answer this question...;)

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Sorry to disappoint you, but this is New Zealand RAM :D

Kingston stuff is good, I've used it for years, never had a failure. A lot of Mac people seem to go for Crucial or OWC-certified, but I'd be happy with Kingston for my eMac (USB2). They have the edge with pricing, for sure.

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

But my question is between certified ram and kingston. Its here: http://canadaram.com/apple_emac.htm

Who makes the certified stuff? is that OWC or someone else?

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Okay, thanks for the link. The 'certified' bit is partly sales talk in many examples, but it also means that the RAM (or whatever) should have been throughly and independently tested, hence earning the title 'certified'.

However, I note that the "certified" is followed by a number and then the words "In Stock". Now to what does the word certified apply? CanadaRAM seems to be saying that the number of items in stock is certified. Why? I can't answer that but I sure as heck would be asking CanadaRAM.

OWC purchases RAM from other manufacturers, but has it tested exhaustively in Mac computers it's intended for before releasing it for sale.

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

I have PMed him and ordered the certified stuff, it comes with a lifetime warranty so its all good.