RAM for iMac i3.... prices...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fr3n2y, Apr 18, 2011.

1. fr3n2y macrumors newbie

Hello all, i'm new to the mac world, 4 days....

I've been looking at RAM for my iMac and the prices vary wildly!

Is there much difference in the types?

For example I've seen RAM as cheap as £70 for 8gb (crucial) but through apple its £320!!

Cheers

2. Chris5488 macrumors regular

Apple charges much more for the same RAM then others do. Buying from an alternate shop is far more cheaper. However not every RAM will work: search for RAM which is tested to work with Apple machines.

Like here for example: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac
    Yes it's more expensive then regular RAM for any PC, but far more cheaper then buying from Apple.

(edit: saw you wrote in £, so the shop I introduced might not be for you, but you get the point ;))

3. fr3n2y thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Chris.

Crucial have a system checker on their site and also offer a guarantee that their ram will work, seems a no brainer really, for £70 per 8gb I may even max the machine out.

Cheers

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

You can't go wrong with Crucial. Excellent quality and price. Remember, buying the cheapest is not necessarily a good idea, particularly where RAM is concerned.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as it's from a known brand and reseller and comes with lifetime warranty, it should not matter. RAM failures are pretty rare and there isn't really a way to say that this RAM is higher quality than that (haven't found any RAM durability figures). Personally, I always go for the cheapest brand if I have heard of the brand before (I would say I know all bigger brands).

No doubt that Crucial is great but if there is a G.Skill kit for less for instance, don't be afraid to buy it ;)

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 - Have 8GB in my iMac 2009 from G-skill. Works without a hitch and combined with my OWC SSD it makes for a very happy Macnerd. :D