RAM for Late 2007 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fleawannabe, Dec 16, 2011.

1. fleawannabe macrumors regular

From what I can tell my mac was built the first week of October in 2007, it has 1gb of RAM with the 2.0 processor and running Snow. I want to upgrade the RAM but I find different answers to what it can take. OWC says it can take up to 6gb, cruical says it can only take 3gb and apple says 4gb. Which one is it? I plan on buying from newegg. And another question is on newegg they have a mac memory section but you can by the memory in the pc section for 10 dollars cheaper, there isnt a difference correct?

Still debating on what memory to use, Kingston, Cruical or OWC.

Thanks for help in advance.

2. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

235 views and nothing? any input would be awesome.

3. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That ram will work. Don't forget to buy two of them. Your iMac can take up to 6Gb of ram, one 2Gb stick and one 4Gb stick.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I have the same 24" iMac though it is a 2.8. I have 4GB in mine. It does support 6GB. Not sure why crucial would say 3GB. all of the Aluminum support the full 4GB or more. I believe the 3GB limit was on the older white iMacs. Though I could be wrong.

I would highly recommend macsales.com and OWC memory. I have had great luck with their product and service.

6. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, from my understanding of reviews is that the 4gb(2x2b) ran smoother than the 6gb(4gb+2gb). My computer doesnt bog down too much so im sure going from 1gb to 4gb will make me happy.

thanks again

7. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Yeah you will definitely notice a nice improvement going from 1GB to 4GB.

I have no problems with my 4GB, until I start doing some heavy work. I have to close some things down at times.

Though once the new iMac is setup with 16GB that problem will go away.

8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Your late 2007 iMac can and will run 6GB of RAM. OWC is a VERY trusted vendor, they specialize in Macs, have great support and competitive prices. I have been running 6GB RAM for the past 2+ years in my late 2007 24" iMac and have never had a RAM issue. The ONLY RAM I'd stay away from is Kingston Value RAM, that products tends to have many problems with MAC. However Kingston's higher quality RAM is fine.

9. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Was doing more research and came across another concern, making sure the ram has a thermo sensor of some sort.

help please

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Ridiculous, RAM does not have thermo sensors. I think you're confusing RAM with a hard disk.

11. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thank you, know just have decide

At newegg i can get kingston for $46, crucial for $44 and at owc I can get it for $59.

I have heard good things for all of those.

12. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Before you read this keep in mind I am new at this

I received my RAM today and when I installed the two 2gb sticks from crucial my fans came on immediately upon start up. So I did some switching out of the sticks and came to the conclusion that one of the sticks will work in both slots without the fan coming on immediately. The other stick will only work in slot two, if I put that stick in slot one the fan comes on immediately. So i have the two sticks in now and the fan is not running crazy, it seems normal. But was my experience normal? How do I know my fan will come on when It needs to?

I checked my about this mac and the mac is reading the RAM and the status says ok.

Thank you in advance.

13. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

If the fans come on immediately simply do a SMC reset. You can do that by:

SMC RESET

1. Shut down the computer.
    2. Unplug the computer's power cord and all peripherals.
    3. Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
    4. Release the power button.
    5. Attach the computers power cable.
    6. Press the power button to turn on the computer.