RAM for Mac Pro desktop 2.66GHz

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrdinh, Sep 16, 2007.

1. mrdinh macrumors regular

should i get 2 sticks each 2gigs of ram or 4 1gig sticks? total of 4 gigs + 1gig current and how to install them?

also have you bought from http://transintl.com/?

help is appreciated for the new mac user

2. bigbird macrumors 6502

Get 4 X 1 GB. Put all 4 sticks in the top riser. Put the 2 X 512 MB stock sticks in the lower riser in slots 1 & 2. You can interchange the risers, that is just put riser 1 with the 2 X 512 into the lower slot and pull out the empty lower riser, put in your 4 X 1 new sticks, and slide it back into the upper slot.

3. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I would recommend going 2x2GB as it will allow for future expansion and it is cheaper.

Put the 2x2GB in top riser and the 2x512MB in the bottom.

4. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yeah, 2GBx2 is recommended for later expansion. You can keep the original RAM in there too.

I recommend OWC. I bought 8GB from them and have had zero issues on first attempt. Results vary.

5. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

I second the recommendation for OWC, the 2x2GB I installed a few weeks ago have been great, no problems at all. The only issue I had was relatively minor in that the heat-sinks for the "matched pair" were different (number and size of fins) but they have the same part number and seem to run at approximately the same temperature, so no worries.

6. jburrows500 macrumors regular

jburrows500

I went 4x1GB from OCW.. first pair was DOA.. they cross shipped a replacement pair that worked fine... Also bought 2 WD 500GB HD's from them recently.. good customer service.. and good video's on showing exactly how to install HD's and RAM...no complaints.