RAM for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by davidmartindale, Dec 1, 2011.

1. davidmartindale macrumors member

davidmartindale

So I have a 2009 Mac mini with 2x1GB DDR3 sticks of RAM. I want to upgrade it to 2x2GB sticks. On newegg.com under memory it has Mac memory and memory. Can I use DDR3 so-dimm PC memory for my Mac?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

If you go to the OWC web site, they do a good job of breaking down which ram modules can be used on your mac.

3. dakhein macrumors member

You can try but it is not guaranteed to work. I don't know if Newegg validated that its Mac Memory section works for w/e Mac system. I don't like wasting the time trying to test something like that out so I would just go to vendors that tell me what RAM they know goes in what system like Crucial or OWC.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Or you can just read the reviews on Newegg from those who have tried it in Macs. That's what I do.....

5. sngx1275 macrumors regular

sngx1275

I've bought Crucial memory for my Macs a few times over the years and its been fine.

I just bought, on a pre-Black Friday sale from Newegg, 8 GB of PNY DDR3 RAM for my mid-2009 13" MBP and I booted from a memtest86+ cd and ran that. No probs.

I'm also running 4 gigs of Crucial DDR3 PC-8500 in my Mini with no probs.

I think Macs are a bit more picky about RAM than some PCs. But, Asus boards are notorious for being very intolerant of RAM, I think they are worse than Apple in that regard. But I only have anecdotal evidence for that.

6. dcoulson macrumors member