Ram for macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zotes24, Feb 25, 2009.

1. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

(i accidently posted this in the macbook pro section, but the answer still applies)

Hey everyone. Sorry if this is a repost, but i was looking at ram OWC on here:http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

and my question is why does the price of ram jump from 4gb at $64.99 and then 6gb is $374.99. That is a pretty big price jump for 2 more GB. Can anyone explain to me why?

Also i have 2Gb of memory and how will adding the 2 more GB help my computer? will apps be snappier and of course i would have more memory.

thanks!

2. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

4 GB of ram is two sticks of 2GB each. 6 GB has one stick with 4 GB (which is a lot more expensive), and one stick with 2 GB.

The more ram they have to fit on each stick, the more expensive it is. Whether or not the huge increase in price is justified is another question...

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You lose dual-channel going from 2x2GB to 4GB+2GB, so unless you will be using those 2GB extra, you may actually lose performance.

4. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

thanks for the 2 replies, much appreciated!!! ima go with the 4 GB (2x2) Ram, it should be MORE than enough!! hope this helps out other people as well

5. zotes24 thread starter macrumors regular

zotes24

One more question. if i swtich out the ram i dont need to back up anything or reinstall anything correct?