Ram for MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mac OS X User, Oct 8, 2011.

1. bizzle macrumors 6502a

I tried multiple 1GB PC3200 modules in various MDDs and they all caused the machine lock up in sleep. I'd recommend 4x 512MB.

2. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

3. Mac OS X User thread starter macrumors newbie

I shut this machine down at night so locking up in sleep doesn't matter.

1) Would this work
    2) Would this make any difference to the reliability of this machine

-Mac OS X User:apple:

4. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

No, it will not work. The memory in your link is high density. Your Mac requires low density. Also, it's best to use 4 512MB modules.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

This is 1000% correct !

You can NOT use high density ram, and 512MB is the max size per stick in that era of ppc macs............

been there done that :) :)

6. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

Actually, there have been reports of 2 x 1 GB configurations working just fine, though obviously not the OP's, since it is high-density.

Also, I have successfully used ECC DDR in MDDs - it works, and in many cases it's cheaper than regular DDR because there's less consumer demand for it.

7. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Yeah, same here. I have a 1GB module (low density) in one of my machines and it works fine. I suspect (but am not certain) that the folks who report problems are using high density. Just in case, I normally suggest trying a 1GB module only when someone has a faulty memory slot. Of course, if you already have the ram, there is no harm in trying it. If you're making a purchase though, it's best to stay safe with something that you know will work.