Ram for my G5 PowerMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mhaddy, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I've got a dual core 2GHz G5 PowerMac with 1.5 GB of PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM in it (512MB from Apple, 1 GB from Crucial IIRC) - looking to add 2GB or 4GB more. I do mostly multimedia work on my Mac and now that I've gotten into Aperture, I desperately need more RAM.

I was thinking of 1 or 2 of these from Newegg or this one from Crucial. Am I looking at the same thing (other than the fact that one is a kit, the other isn't)?

I was thinking of sticking to Crucial because of their lifetime warranty and guaranteed compatability with my system, but what other (less expensive) options do I have? While my original limition for buying online was from Canadian-only stores, because our looney is doing oh so well, I can now venture out to the unchartered land of Newegg!

Thanks.

2. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

You can also go to Canadaram.com for memory it is Canadian and one of the guys here (CanadaRam) works there (or owns it). the pricing isn't too bad, although you may get a slightly better deal in the us due to volume sold there. Check it out leastwise.

3. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

All memeory is not created equal.

Crucial rocks!

4. Mhaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Just wanted to update this thread -- I picked up some Kingston RAM but b/c it was CL5, it didn't jive with my current CL4 set up. So, I've decided to stick with Crucial, but I'm trying to find some decent prices. I'd like to pick up two 2GB sticks (model #: CT25664AA53E), and NewEgg has it for $52.99 USD, but they don't ship to Canada. Crucial.com has the same stick for twice the price at $124.99 USD. Please help me find something comparable to NewEgg's pricing! :)