Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

There is an online store called Crucial. Many of you know it. Actually, someone recommended it to me here.

My 1.33 GHz. 12" ibook G4 came with 512 Mb of RAM. In two months
it will be six years old : ) !!! I am thinking about updating the RAM (memory).
According to specifications from Crucial's webpage, the
ibook can handle up to a maximum memory of 1536 MB, or approx. 1.5 GB.

I already have the original 512 MB. In order to add the other 1 GB.
What should I do ?? Just buy the 1 GB and "insert it ??".

Just another question, my ibook is "already" six years old, and I enjoy
it a lot, and I hope it lives (with me) for a very, very long time : ) !!!
If I add new RAM, do I run any risk that it may get "sick". I mean, I have
never touched it in the inside, (except for a hard drive change done by
an Apple certified technician). The only
button I touch every morning is the start button. So, because of a RAM
upgrade, I wouldn't like to "provoke an accident" and see my ibook die.

Here is the link to Crucial for the ibook G4:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iBook (G4 1.33GHz, 12-inch)&pl=Apple&cat=RAM

Thank you very much in advance, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It has 512MB which is unremovable so you just need to buy one 1GB module. If the RAM is correct type, it shouldn't cause any issues.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello Hellhammer,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

I see. So, as you mention, there are 512 Mb, which one
can not take out, plus a free slot for 1 GB. Cool then : ) !!!

I'll order that, and I hope everything works out well.

I'll let you guys know how it goes with the new RAM : ) !!!

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I think they come with two modules; a 256mb soldered in place and a 256 removable. You remove the 256 and replace it with a 1 gb chip, giving 1.25 gb ram. I upgraded my iBook G4 that way.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello old-wiz,

So, the upgrade to 1.5 GB is either "utopic", dangerous,
or perhaps not feasible because there may not be 1,25
RAM sticks, right ??

Is there a big difference between 1.25 GB and 1.5 GB
at the end ?? I thought on upgrading the RAM to make
things smoother for the ibook.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
You've said that you have an iBook G4 with the 1.33GHz processor and the 12in screen. That model came with 512MB RAM as standard, which matches with what you've said in your original post. If you want to be sure, just click :apple:>About this Mac>More Info - under "Hardware", select "Memory". On the right it should say DIMM0/BUILTIN, SIZE 512MB, Type Built-In. etc.

That model also came with an integrated bluetooth/airport module, which makes fitting the new RAM slightly easier. It's just a case of unlatching the keyboard* and opening the memory cover with four screws. There's even a diagram printed on the metal plate underneath the keyboard.

The Crucial link you provided is the correct one. You should have one RAM slot free, which you can fill with either a 256MB, 512MB or 1GB stick to give a total of 768MB, 1GB or 1.5GB RAM.

The more RAM you have, then the more programs etc. you can have open at once and the better / quicker the machine will run.

Hope this helps.

* Make sure you unlock the keyboard with the plastic screw between the F5 and F6 keys before trying to unlatch it.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hello FourCandles,

I have checked and your description matches my
ibook. I'll get the 1 GB RAM card.

* Make sure you unlock the keyboard with the plastic screw between the F5 and F6 keys before trying to unlatch it.

Yes, for my ibook model there is a plastic screw between the F5 and F6 keys.
That is the one you say I should unscrew, right?

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Yes, for my ibook model there is a plastic screw between the F5 and F6 keys.
That is the one you say I should unscrew, right?

Yes, but only half a turn - not completely! And it may already be unlocked anyway.

First slide the 2 latches - one is between the Esc and F1 keys and one is between the F11 and F12 keys. Then try to lift the keyboard, gently, in case it is locked; in which case turn the lock screw in between F5 and F6.

There's full instructions in the manual, and it also explains exactly how to install the memory.

See page 53-59 of the users manual - here's a link to the manual on the Apple site if you've not got your manual.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ibook_g4_mid_2005_users_guide.pdf

mcalevy

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
warning

Buy the cheapest ram you can, as what you get will most likely be recycled with a new sticker on it. Ram for your machine has not been manufactured for years.

And don't plan on this changing your computing experience very much. Most software and websites will simply overwhelm that machine. My wife loved her 14" macbook g4 until she got her new $750 refurb macbook. Then she realized what a crappy experience she had been having.

So save your pennies, and at least get onto an intel based mac, and not a core 2 but a core 2 duo. The screen alone will be worth the cost.

You are at least 14 generations of technology back with that machine when you consider all the factors that are improved in a new macbook.

There is a lot of stuff on web pages these days that simply do not show up on the screen, you cannot miss what you cannot see.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I'll tell you what, Apple got the G4 iBook right, after all the failures with my Dad's G3 iBook, Apple finally just replaced it with a G4. That think has been trucking strong ever since, I too added some RAM a few years back, its running Leopard, and works like a charm (for him.) ;) It is dreadfully slow to me, but again, I am a power user. Although, it still outperforms my Mom's brand new Netbook. :D

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hello old-wiz,

So, the upgrade to 1.5 GB is either "utopic", dangerous,
or perhaps not feasible because there may not be 1,25
RAM sticks, right ??

Is there a big difference between 1.25 GB and 1.5 GB
at the end ?? I thought on upgrading the RAM to make
things smoother for the ibook.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

My iBook G4 had 256MB soldered in and I bought a 1gb ram stick for a total of 1.25 gb. If the iBook had 512 soldered in you could buy a 1 gb ram stick for a total of 1.5 gb. The most you can get is 1gb plus whatever the iBook has soldered in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.