RAM for my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jenni8, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Jenni8 macrumors member

I am going to finally upgrade my iMac with more ram. I want to get two 4GB of RAM to have my system be a total of 12GB of RAM.

Here are my specs:
    Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac12,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
    SMC Version (system): 1.72f1

I'm going to Frys next week and I'd like to know what is recommended. I'm NOT getting apple RAM as it's too expensive. If you could please let me know what would be best as to what kind of RAM that would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Personally I like going to www.crucial.com and letting their system scanner do the work. They'll tell you exactly what RAM you need, and even if you end up not buying from them you'll still have the exact speed etc. (and a price point to compare).

3. qCzar macrumors regular

The RAM for the iMac appears to be 204-pin. It looks like as long as you get 204 Pin 1.5v Memory you'll be in the clear. 204-pin is laptop memory. I just bought 2 8GB sticks from Fry's and the price matched for me.

For RAM, you need to meet with an associate and they'll give you a paper then you'll bring it to the registers. At that point they'll get your product. So, it helps to have the Frys Product number which you can find on their website.

4. Jenni8 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Thanks so much for these quick replies. I checked out that website and it's awesome and the prices are right up my ally. Only $50 for 8GB of more RAM to bump me up to 12GB. I can't see needing more than that at this time. I might go through that website, but if not then Fry's would be the best option for a store front. I can't wait till I can get this RAM this next Friday so then I'd feel much better about upgrading to Mountain Lion. I've been needing an upgrade since I bought my iMac and finally my husband is understanding about me needing more RAM. My mac is fast generally, but I can't stand how slow it gets when I have Photoshop and Lightroom open at the same time amongst other apps. I've been cleaning up my system these past few days in anticipation for the upgrade to ML. (Getting rid of redundant apps I don't use or need, etc.) But before then I need the new RAM. I'm so excited, I can't wait! I'll let you all know how it all works out.