Ram for my mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stevieapollo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. stevieapollo macrumors member

I am looking to upgrade my ram from 2GB to 10GB so i need to purchase 8 GB of ram. does anyone know the best place to buy the ram I have heard of kingston but i am really looking for the best value manly because i am totally broke after spending 3000 buck for my machine? Do they even make crapy ram is it all pretty much the same i rally don't know much about ram aside from the fact that it made my iMac 2x faster after i upgraded to 4GB. any help would be awesome!

thanks

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I don't know what to call the "best place" but I can tell you where I got my RAM and it works well for me.

OWC (Other World Computing) http://eshop.macsales.com/

Unsure if this is okay to say..but I would stay away from Fastmac. They don't stand well behind their products or the adage the customer is right.

- Phrehdd

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

4. TSparger macrumors member

I too am purchasing ram for a newly purchased Mac Pro and am wondering if it is a good idea to leave the existing ram in the computer and just add on to it or remove and add new ram in like pairs? I hope this is not stepping on the OP's thread, but figured it was related.

5. akbc macrumors 6502

6. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Leaving the old RAM in the computer is perfectly fine. My Mac Pro shipped with 2 x 512MB sticks, which I left in there when I bought 2 x 1GB sticks. So the Mac Pro is fine if you mix amounts and brands of RAM.

But keep in mind, if you have the 1,1 Mac Pro you need to buy 667MHz sticks. Anything newer than that uses the 800MHz sticks. If you're not sure which one you have, you can go :apple: > About This Mac > More Info... and it'll be listed there. ;)

7. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The 800mhz sticks are backwards compatible as well.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

CanadaRam. He is also a member of macrumors. :D

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Many thanks.

10. spacetycho macrumors member

spacetycho

Ram

if i pull the trigger and buy a mac pro next month, add 6GB of RAM, then sell it in a year to buy the NEW mac pro, will i be able to remove and install the RAM in the new computer?

where can i find the best deal on mac pros and RAM?

cheers.

p.s. i'd hate to buy now with the NEW ones on the horizon, but i need to start working on an album ASAP.

any advise is appreciated.

:confused:

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. It will be completely incompatible.

12. nemodomi macrumors member

nemodomi

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I second Canada Ram. I have ordered RAM through him 3 times. Every time he is very fast and its works well. His prices are the best I have found in canada too.

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I cant believe no one has recommended www.transintl.com

I ordered a few sets of 16GB of RAM works without any flaws or errors and the heat sinks are even better than the ones on the stock RAM from Apple (fins are even thicker).