RAM for my macbook also

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reaganjh, Dec 9, 2009.

1. reaganjh macrumors newbie

could someone please tell me how much ram my macbook can support?

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
    SMC Version (system): 1.24f2
    Serial Number (system): W8743F3LZ64
    Hardware UUID: 10757387-BD16-5A75-9189-E5465DEE9BCE

it's the black "late 2007" model? what generation is that exactly?

sorry if this is a common/dumb/annoying question. i really did search around before posting. i just need to know the generation before i buy from the apple store.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Off the top of my head its 4GB, but thats probably wrong.

Go to the crucial website and run the system scanner. It will tell you how much and of what type of ram you need.

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Mactracker says 6.0 GB (actual), 4.0 GB (Apple), while Apple-history simply lists 4 GB as the maximum amount of RAM. Might want to research a bit more to see if you can squeeze 6 GB in there (if you're interested in that)... :) Since identical pairs will give you optimal performance due to the system's dual-channel mode, I'd probably prefer installing a matching 4 GB configuration (2x2GB).

EDIT: Relevant Crucial link for your model

4. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

5. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

The 'actual' part from Mactracker probably means that your Macbook is capable of using 6 GB, but that it is not supported or specified that way by Apple.

here. I personally wouldn't buy directly from Apple. Their memory prices are insane. You also seem to be right in that they only seem to be selling 1 GB chips for your laptop :confused: ...

6. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

at first i sort of wanted to get it from apple regardless of the price... idk, just so i'm certain it will be ok. but you're right; they are way too expensive, and since they don't have 2x2GB.. i might look elsewhere now.

thanks for your help!

7. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

8. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Good choice. As far as I know Crucial have a very good reputation, although I personally use Kingston's ValueRam, which hasn't ever given me any problems either (*). Don't let Apple's high prices in this case fool you into thinking that you are more likely to get your money's worth from them. The reason that Apple's RAM is so expensive is simply their tendency to allow for a greater than usual profit margin. Good if you're an AAPL investor, bad if you're the consumer.

(*) EDIT: I should add that apparently compatibility with Kingston's valueRAM series is not guaranteed.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have crucial ram in my macbook and it works flawlessly. Never had any problems with them, but if you do the return and warranty is top notch.

10. reaganjh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again! i just bought the crucial.