Ram for Quad PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bobreborn, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bobreborn macrumors member

I went on the crucial site and they're charging 50$ for 2GB - I'd really like to just try 1GB to make sure this machine I have is working, can anybody link me to some that will work? I tried searching for the type that crucial gave me but they don't list the # of pins and I felt I'd probably have bad luck trying on my own...

thanks!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

PC2-4200 DDR2 is what you need. Just be sure you're getting "desktop" ram as laptop DDR-2 has a different form factor. As this is old technology, you can pick it up pretty cheaply(or even free) if you look the right places. I'd probably start at Ebay. I just took a quick look on Ebay, and someone is selling 2x1gb of PC2-4200 for under $10 including shipping. You can probably also get away with using faster clock speeds than 4200.

Just bear in mind that for any G5, you should install the memory in matched pairs of sticks. If you look in your computer, you will see two "banks" of four slots each. Install your first pair in the two inner most slots, and build outward in pairs from these.

3. bobreborn thread starter macrumors member

does it HAVE to be paried? Can I single stick in and it work?

I have a 512 and a 1gb stick, each says PC2-4200U on them but I keep getting the 2 beeps and jet engine when I boot up.

I guess I'll pick something up on eBay and see what happens. Hopefully not waste 10 bucks @_@ haha thanks

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In PowerMac G5's the ram must be paired or it won't be seen or work.

5. bobreborn thread starter macrumors member

that'll be it then! Cool beans thanks for the help.

6. desantii macrumors 6502

desantii

Will faster ram still work? seems to eb cheaper

What about ECC?

thanks

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Faster ram will sometimes work. ECC will work, but it will be used as non-ECC.