RAM for Unibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by whiskeyr, May 18, 2009.

1. whiskeyr macrumors newbie

Hi all. Thanks for your help here. I've recently gotten a new unibody Macbook. The basic one with 2.0 ghz and 2gb of RAM.

I'd like to upgrade the RAM to 4gb. Does anyone know if the Apple store will do this for me and if so, for how much money?

Though I'm capable of doing it myself, unless the difference were more than $60 or so I'd prefer to just have the Apple store do it for me.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Well...

Crucial sells 4GB DDR3-1066 for about $70
    Apple sells it for about $200

Factor in the cost of installation and I would say its more than a $60 savings. Much more.

3. ptsube macrumors 6502

Buy the Crucial RAM at Newegg.com and install it yourself. It would be more hassle to go to a Apple store, than to just DIY.

$60 for ten minutes of work?

4. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

It's so simple to do. But notice lots of people are still having problems with ram compatibility. I personally used the Crucial recommended kit and my MB was intermittently giving black screens after waking from sleep. These problems are widely reported, although some people claim they have Crucial running 100% fine on their machines. So, you would be well advised to buy the ram somewhere you can easily return it if it turns out to cause crashing, freezing or other nonsense. Do a search through this forum and you will see many reports of these issues still.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

You can easily return the RAM via Crucial's Customer Support and they would be more than happy to send you a new pair.