RAM: Free, Wired, Active, Inactive - huh?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkaz, Oct 25, 2009.

1. jkaz macrumors 6502

I'm quite confused by my RAM situation. I seem to be maxxing out my RAM when I only have 1 program running, the only way to clear this up is a reboot. I closed all of my programs except activity monitor and 4.5GB of RAM was 'active'. What does this mean? Why doesn't a majority of my RAM turn into free RAM when everything is closed?

With only two apps running, my free ram is done to just a tiny sliver and I can feel my machine lag when I open new browser windows(as an example)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the links, but i'm hoping to get some discussion going to clear up my confusion.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So what Mac do you have and how much RAM does that machine have?
    And what Mac OS X are you running?

I currently have the white MacBook (2008 model) with 4GB RAM and Mac OS X 10.6.1 running on it.

I have ten applications open.

Free: 175MB
    Wired: 625MB
    Active: 2.15GB
    Inactive:1.07GB
    Used: 3.83GB

Sometimes little lags occur by opening a new Safari (4.0.3) tab, but nothing major.

Mac OS X is designed to handle RAM efficiently, assigning memory to the Applications that need it. Also what good are 4GB of RAM if it's not used to the full extent?

4. chill. macrumors 6502

i'm going to bet that the ram you're using is incompatible, or you have too much ram for your system. some computers can only process 3/4/6 gigs of ram maximum

however, there is just too little information. you need to post system specs, whether you've had troubles in the past, if it's apple ram or 3rd party ram, how much ram, etc. etc.

5. jkaz thread starter macrumors 6502

8 core @ 2.8 GHz
    8 GB RAM:
    Riser A/DIMM 1 2GB
    Riser A/DIMM 2 2GB
    Riser B/DIMM 1 2GB
    Riser B/DIMM 2 2GB

On 10.6.1

ram was purchased from apple.