Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdyhd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Hello all,

I'm about to purchase a new Mac and I have a question about purchasing extra RAM. I will probably purchase the Mac directly from Apple to receive the education discount. I have seen many posts here suggesting that I do not purchase the extra RAM from Apple, (because of the cost) rather I should buy it from Crucial.

My question is this. If I buy the extra RAM separate and install it myself, would that not void the Mac's warranty from Apple? I want to buy AppleCare also, but if opening the case to install the RAM voids the warranty, what choice do I have other than ordering the extra RAM from Apple and having them install it?

Thanks for your help!!!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
AFAIK it will not void the warrenty, you are perfectly entitled to upgrade your system while still keeping the Apple warrenty.
I had a problem with my PowerMac some time ago, it was sent away to Apple under AppleCare and repaired, and it had 3rd party RAM installed.

AWNR

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
Sweden
That probably depends on which Mac we're talking about here. I'm pretty sure you can safely put new memory into your G5 without Apple being cross -- it's built with expansion in mind.

I'm sure owners of the specific type of mac you're looking at can fill you in better.

Also, remember that memory from Crucial has at least a 1 year warrenty on its own.

(Edit: removed useless, scary comment on breaking an Apple enclosure)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by AWNR
That probably depends on which Mac we're talking about here. I'm pretty sure you can safely put new memory into your G5 without Apple being cross -- it's built with expansion in mind.
All Macs (and indeed computers) have some kind of memory expansion. Any Mac you get will have a spare slot designed for you to be able to add more quite easily.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by edesignuk
All Macs (and indeed computers) have some kind of memory expansion. Any Mac you get will have a spare slot designed for you to be able to add more quite easily.

Right. That's the key. If you're upgrading in the user expansion slot, no worries. But, e.g., on an iMac, one slot is not user-accessible (that is, accessing it voids the warranty). Probably best to max out the memory there, unless you're really confident of your upgrade skills, because otherwise you have to get Apple to do it later, for a price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.