RAM & HD Upgrade Advice On a 17" Core2Duo 2.33 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Andyvydna, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Andyvydna macrumors newbie

Hi

i've had my Macbook Pro for nearly 3years now & have decided that it is time to upgrade both the hard-drive & RAM. I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience in doing this & whether there were any brands that should definitely be avoided & ones that could be recommended - hard-drive wise the main two brands that seem to be pushed are Seagate & Western Digital; RAM wise Kingston is the brand that i've looked at so far

Thanks for your time

Andy

17" MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You can get pretty much any brand of RAM as long at it's certified for use in an Apple computer. Kingston is a good brand if you want to go with that. I usually go to my local Fry's and see what's on sale. As far as HD's go, as you mentioned Seagate and Western Digital are both solid products. The key is getting an appropriate drive in terms of heat output and using a good walk through for installation. I've never swapped out a drive in a MBP, but have done an iBook and I can't imagine the process being much different. Be sure to sketch out your steps on paper and tape your screws down as you remove them step by step. This will make reassembly much easier. Good luck and have fun.