RAM Heat Sinks / Spreaders on G5 modules?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sarthak, Aug 5, 2014.

1. sarthak macrumors 6502

Came across a listing for "Heat Spreaders" for DDR/DDR2 memory modules.

Was wondering if anyone else has seen these and if they're worth installing. RAM isn't cheap so I don't want to "try" them but rather find the urge to add spreaders to cool them, extending lifespan.

- I assume they will fit (a few mm added to each DIMM).
    - States it can reduce heat up to 35%.
    - Silver sticks of RAM would look more appealing than the bare DIMMs currently.
    - Concerns of adding pressure on the DIMMs from the spreaders (some are designed with them from the factory while some come as bare DIMMs).
    - Only costs $10 Canadian for qty.8 of heat spreaders.
    - Looks easy to install, comes with some sort of adhesive (peel off reveals ??).

What kind of temperatures can we expect from DDR2 444 RAM since they don't come with any spreaders from the factory. Only temp I see reported is for Memory Controller at 60-70*c.

Unlike the G5, the RAM in my Mac Pro (DDR2 FB-DIMM 667) runs quite hot and hence, Apple designed large heat sinks.

From various listings on eBay:

eBay Link

Note to Mod: This is purely for educational / research purposes and not to advertise the item from some Chinese (re)sellers.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because of the airflow design in a G5, those are largely unneeded. In early Mac Pros memory heatsinks were used because the ram was a modern development and technology hadn't yet been able to keep them cool enough at the needed speeds. Since then, the heatsinks on the memory are no longer needed with modern memory in the early Mac Pros.