Ram Help. Plz!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DJJAZZYJET, Jun 7, 2011.

1. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

I have decided i am going to order the 'higher end' base imac with an i5 3.1ghz, 4gb ram, 1gb graphics, 1tb hard drive. I have learned how to install additional ram myself (so easy) and i have decided that i am going to go for crucial memory (very good quality and value)

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...uad-Core i5 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2011&Cat=RAM

But this is where i am stuck, the imac has 4 ram slots, i want to use all 4 to take advantage of dual Chanelling. Im not sure if i want to add 8gb of ram or 4gb ram, if i install 8gb (4gb x 2 ram sticks) then i will have a total of 12gb ram in my imac, which seems abit much considering that i will always close my programs that i am not using, and that extra ram will just sit there being a waste of space, but it will be future proofed for another imac down the line (unless they upgrade the ram slots in future imacs with 240 pins and faster than 1333)
    If i only order 4gb ram (i understand that with ram more memory on 1 chip is better, but because of dual chanelling i will get 2gb x 2 ram chips) so i will have a total of 8gb in my imac, which sounds very good and will not be wasted, but i will have 4 x 2gb chips and if i needed to upgrade to even more ram they will be wasted.

I will be using logic pro, gaming, internet browsing, HD video editing, downloading, converting, photoshop.

Like i say i am defiantly not a power user, and i would always close the applications that i am not using, obviously with the beastly power of the imac it will be more than enough to handle a simple video conversion whilst logic pro is open, while im downloading something and browsing the web, thats what quad core processing is all about right. All those things would probably total to maybe not even 6gb of ram. Osx is great at multitasking, and i always am looking for ways to give my os the best maintenance to keep it at its best.

Im not sure, buy less to be realistic but at risk of having to little and have wasted money if i ever need to upgrade, or buy more to have it just wasted there not being used, but be future proofed. I have enough cash to buy the 8 more gb of ram.

Having more ram wont slow down the computer or programs will it?

2. caughtintheweb macrumors regular

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

So it is fine if I mix the factory 4gb of ram with an additional 8gb of ram (2 4gb sticks)? So I will have 2x2gb and 2x4gb for a grand total of 12gb of ram. Not that I really need it though... haha Want to make sure before I order.

4. DJJAZZYJET thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks

Ok i think ill go for 12gb of ram, it will probably be for the best. Im in the uk so im buying ram from here

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...uad-Core i5 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2011&Cat=RAM

it is guarenteed to work in a 3.1ghz 2011 imac

and yes it is ok if you mix the apple ram with other ram, JUST AS LONG IT IS THE SAME SPECIFICATION AS THE APPLE RAM.
    The apple ram is 1333 speed - 204 pin ram chip, so buying the same specifications as that the ram will be just fine.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  6. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Well I like the idea of adding 8gb now for under a $100, and then in the future if I have the desire for 16gb, I could buy 8gb more for under a 100$. Just trying to not spend 200$ right now.

7. stir fry a lot macrumors newbie

12gb is enough. In a couple years 8gb sticks will be affordable and you can keep your new ones and swap out the factory ones for a total of 24gb. Although technology tends to make things smaller and more efficient the amount of ram needed to run the programs to do this actually increases so more is always welcome.

8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

9. stir fry a lot macrumors newbie

Here's another one just to piss you off. Not that you needed the help.

10. DJJAZZYJET thread starter macrumors 6502

got the help i wanted

thanks :S lol, i take it many posts are about ram then... i couldent really find the answers i was looking for at first. No need 2 bump anymore.

11. Blazer5913, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

sorry to bring up a beat issue but I just got a 27" i5 iMac, the stock MC813LL/A model, and wanted to throw another 8gb (2 x 4gb) of RAM in it to get it up to 12GB and also enable dual channeling. I just wanted to verify that one of the original responder's suggestions, G.Skill kit, would work. This link is different because they are currently running a special on the single 4gb sticks, so figured by 2 and save. Here's the link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5C&PID=4169666&SID=18lsfgtrbee1n&AID=10521304

would be compatible with it. Thank you so much, just need somebody, or even the original poster, to verify, and I will order it ASAP. Also thanks for the suggestion about the slow shipping. Maybe will pay a few bucks to get it here by next year haha.

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

THe OP is as clueless about ram as the next person.

All iMacs run mis-matched pairs in some sort of a dual channel mode.

Im 110% sure you wouldnt even know/notice the difference even if it didnt.

There is NOTHING special about the ram in an iMac, just buy the correct specs.

13. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

And the correct specs are, if I am correct?
    DDR3
    204 pin
    Missing anything else?

So again, if I buy 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5C&PID=4169666&SID=18lsfgtrbee1n&AID=10521304 (Neweggs current promo special) I should be fine. Sorry, just not as "there" with RAM as other things, and want to make sure. Thanks so much

14. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Seems that the only difference between the deal right now:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...kTab=true&Keywords=imac&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

and the original response:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

is that the NewEgg deal is DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) as opposed to the original response is DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). As far as the 2011 iMac's, specifically 27" i5, will this matter?