RAM Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JNephilium, Feb 12, 2013.

1. JNephilium macrumors newbie

Hey guy's
    Been reading some archives about RAM and still have questions.
    Will post em in my next post

----------

This thread has probably been posted Countless times, and here i am posting it again.
    I was reading some archives from the site on ram; I have a late 2011 MBP.
    Supposedly this computer can handle 1600Mhz of RAM
    My questions are as follows
    CL9 seems to be the most stable and the RAM with the least amount of latency.
    What brand should i be looking at? A gentleman said that he has the Corsair vengeance 8GB kit (which is what im hoping to get my ram to [8GB not corsair])
    I did my research on that RAM and saw that it came with heat spreaders.
    Are heat spreaders worth the extra money? My computer gets really hot when i run a server for Tekkit(Basically Minecraft But Heavily Modded), and it is Eating up my ram. Plus some of my games lag. That's why im looking to upgrade.
    Mainly, My questions are, I know i have to be looking at CL9 DDR3 ram. But what brand, and are heat spreaders worth it.?

2. simsaladimbamba

No need, as the forum software automatically merges them to one post, as consecutive posts by the same member are frowned upon message boards (most of them anyway).

Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill, and many others are very often recommended.

That is desktop RAM, you need notebook RAM, better known as 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM.

On a desktop they might, but on a laptop they would not fit.

That is due to the CPU being in use, more RAM might help, but will probably not take away the heat and lagging.

PS: The orthography nazi in me has to tell you, that plurals do not need apostrophes, otherwise it would look like plural's do need apostrophe's.

3. JNephilium thread starter macrumors newbie

PS: The orthography nazi in me has to tell you, that plurals do not need apostrophes, otherwise it would look like "plural's do need apostrophe's?"

- Thanks i actually hit that by accident. Normally I'm good at typing. Anywho, thank you for the info. I'm gonna do a bit more research on the brands you posted :D

----------

- Thanks i actually hit that by accident. Normally I'm good at typing. Anywho, thank you for the info. I'm gonna do a bit more research on the brands you posted :D

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Pretty useless. They are just cheap metal folded in half and stuck to your memory chips with foam/rubber two-sided tape.

You can't get them on laptop memory anyway. Only desktop. I end up removing them most of the time because they get in the way of the case on 1U servers and can also get in the way of big heat sinks or video cards! Just use a knife to carefully cut the tape and pull them off.

5. JNephilium thread starter macrumors newbie

Info

Thank you all for the info. Is it true that C9 is better and more stable than C10 ? and if so, what good brands are out there that have a 16g kit of ram within a reasonable price at 1600 Mhz that is C9?

I've been doing some research and i found some Corsair Vengeances 8g C9 that are 1600Mhz for 54$ but i heard that that is expensive for RAM in this day and age, so what Ram would you recommend? Has to be either 16g kit or 8g kit and 1600Mhz. (laptop ram obviously.)

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Just get whatever the Crucial website recommends, it really doesn't make a difference.

7. JNephilium thread starter macrumors newbie

Crucial - the brand site?

Sorry, this is honestly the first time i'ce decided to upgraded RAM myself

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I use Corsair RAMs and had no problem over several years.
    The 1600MHz vengeance model can be bought for both 16 and 8GB.

However, I believe that 1600MHz dont really show performance increase.
    It does when you run benchmark but unless you are running RAM demanding tasks, you wont see a difference.
    But thats just what I believe.

9. JNephilium thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea but the 16g Kit is C10, not C9. that's the thing im not sure of. Is C9 that much better than C10?

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

1600MHz cas10 will be faster what so ever.