RAM help.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bigtree, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Just ordered a i7, 3tb Fusion drive, and 8 gigs of ram. I have read somewhere on this forum about adding ram to what I have (making it 24 gigs). Is this possible, or do I have remove the 8 gigs and replace it with new ram? Where can I buy it? Crucial told me they do not guarantee their ram in the new iMacs. I think this was miss information, I've alway had great success with their product.
    So where did you buy yours?

2. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I have 24GB RAM in my iMac. I kept the original 8GB and added 16GB Crucial RAM. Works perfectly.

I haven't come across anyone so far who have had problems with Crucial RAM in the new iMac. Check out their website, choose the correct RAM for your iMac and you'll be fine! :)

3. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

I also added 16 gig's of Crucial RAM to the original 8 gig's for a total of 24 gig's in my late 2012 27" iMac. I have had no problems with the Crucial RAM. Very easy to install! :D

4. bembol macrumors 65816

bembol

I was going to keep the stock 8GB but I got a buyer interested for $40.

I know I don't need 32GB but I figured why not.

5. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I might be a little OCD but I'm the kind to max out RAM completely instead of simply adding on.

My 2011 iMac shipped with 4GB and I just maxed it to 16GB. It can handle 32GB (unofficially) but maxing it out to 32GB with 8GB sticks was too expensive at the time. I'll probably max it out to 32GB one day but who knows, I might just opt for what ever the latest and greatest is 3-4 years from now.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Leave the original 8GB in and add extra 16GB. Crucial will work just fine.

My iMac came with 8GB and then I bought, at a steal price of $45 on Kijiji, 16GB (2x8GB) original Apple RAM from someone here where I live that wanted more RAM but all the same. So they put 32GB Crucial RAM in their iMac so it was all same RAM. I am now at 24GB RAM and am quite pleased with that. May go to 32 down the road but for now happy. Fluke getting the extra RAM at price I did. Just happened upon his ad within a minute of them posting it. Ran there right away. Probably never see that deal again.

Attached Files:

7. Raima macrumors 6502

I bought 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 SO-DIMM 1600Mhz G.Skill ram from a local store in Australia. Running 24GB of RAM atm.

It was:

* Less expensive
    * No delivery fee due to local pickup
    * No waiting on delivery from the US
    * Provides local warranty support

Happy to report no problems here. Don't know what the fuss is about Crucial.