RAM help?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by JacobUlts, Sep 11, 2014.

1. JacobUlts macrumors newbie

Hey guys :D

So I just found what is slowing down my computer.
    As you can see, it's not very good. Almost all of my ram is being used, and that is just after booting the computer.

Anyway, I was hoping to possibly find some help on this. I'm not sure if you guys need more info or anything.

Thanks in advance :3

Attached Files:

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

If you an upgrade your memory that would be good. You already knew that though, and I suspect that's why you aren't getting many replies.

I'm guessing you are on a laptop and upgrading might be a problem. If you don't have an SSD for booting the OS, that may give you considerable relief.

Sorry if I was unhelpful, just wanted you to know that people did read your post.

Good Luck,

CJ

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Your RAM is perfectly fine.

Free RAM is wasted RAM. Mavericks functioning normally will use as much RAM as possible for caching, etc.

What you need is an SSD.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is quite normal for all of your memory to be in use by OS X. It does not mean that you are running out of memory or that it is maxed out. OS X will manage all available memory, making it available to apps on an as-needed basis. Refer to the following Apple support article for more information on how to understand your Activity Monitor readings.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can get more helpful responses, if you tell us exactly which Mac you have.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Generally speaking it is good to provide more information about the Mac being used, OS X version, etc. However, in this case it doesn't matter which Mac model it is. There is plenty of RAM available. The OP just doesn't know how to read the new memory pressure readings in Activity Monitor.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I fully agree, but the OP did say that the system was slowing down, which may mean that OP should provide a similar Activity Monitor screen shot when the slow down is actually happening.
    Then, an idea that a RAM upgrade might help, or some other plan, can best be offered if we know which Mac, etc.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree. The OP should provide a shot of Activity Monitor with the CPU tab sorted in descending order by % CPU usage, since the problem obviously isn't a memory issue.

9. h9826790, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Your RAM actually speeds up your computer but not slows it down. 1.93G of them was using as cache, which is for speed up, and may be use by system or any application when required.

Furthermore, the swap is 0, memory pressure is green, there is just nothing wrong about the RAM usage.

Your system's slow down should be caused by other reason, but not running out of RAM.

10. JacobUlts thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!

I just updated to Mavericks from Snow Leopard, so I guess I made a noob move by getting scared over this. :eek:

Thanks again!