RAM: How to upgrade to 16GB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xghostofme, Apr 13, 2013.

1. xghostofme macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've done a lot of research, and I've posted about this before.. but got no answers. I'm gonna keep it short and sweet this time and not go too into detail.

I have an 27" iMac 10,1 (late 2009) model.

It supports up to 16GB of DDR3 PC3-8500 1066MHz SO-DIMM memory.

To ensure full compatibility, I am looking to purchase 16GBs of RAM and will be replacing the original factory installed RAM, as I understand different chips can cause problems.

MY QUESTION:

Must I buy 1 package with 4x4GB chips... or can I buy 2 packages with 2x4GB each?

Will either of these options make a difference in compatibility?

2. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

best place to start is somewhere like crucial.com, you can search for your model so you know you'll get the right RAM, link below for the Late 2009 iMac.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac (21.5 and 27-inch, Late 2009)

As far as I know most RAM comes in packs of 2, and right now 2x 8Gb for you iMac is $70, so $140 total plus shipping.

ETA - sorry that was for a total of 32Gb, I'd check to see if you can do 32Gb in the 2009.

2x 4Gb is $42, so $84 plus shipping for 16Gb.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

That model (iMac 10,1) should be 4x Slots and capable of 16GB as you have stated.. I am quite sure there is No Benefit to either 4x 4GB or 2x 8GB from any I have ever done upgrades on, so purchase as you feel best suits you.. ** as I look on Newegg for any specials I see that there are likely NO 8GB single stick options, and so that answers that!!

So, about the question, a couple of 2x 4GB packages is just FINE, as that is essentially what went into my friend's iMac a couple of months back as well.. It was Mushkin Ram and seems as good as Crucial for the 6 or 7 computers I have put it into, USA made and a good warranty as well.. Looks like about $60-65 per 2x4GB set as of today ~ Unfortunately RAM prices seem to have increased in the past few months.. Oh well, still a good upgrade for the price!! :apple:

4. xghostofme thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man! appreciate the help :)

5. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

How much ram do you have in there now?

If you're already at 8GB, just get a 2x4GB pair, that matches the specs you need, and you'll be fine.