RAM in future Montevina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yamachari, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Yamachari macrumors newbie

Please help me out with my facts in this speculation...

According to the always reliable Wikipedia the Montevina platform will support support DDR3-800 which will be "effectively enabling memory modules of maximum 16 gibibyte in size." Google informs me that 16 gibibytes is a dumb way of writing 16 gigabytes.

So is it possible that we will see MacBook Pros out later this year capable of handling 8 or even 16 GB of RAM?

I'm in the market for my first Mac ever and I'll need it as a desktop replacement so the more RAM the better. I need it for when I'll have to boot into <shudder>Vista</shudder> and run SQL Server and/or Oracle locally. I know even the current MBP will handle what I want but I will gladly, though impatiently, wait a few months if I can get more than 4 GB of RAM.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

All SR MB/Ps are already capable of handling 8gb of memory.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep but try getting hold of 2x4gb modules

4. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

In time this will change.

5. bubble27 macrumors regular

Montevina is to be released in april/may. Some sources say March but who knows. I personnaly hope there is no upgrade now and apple skips straight to Montevina. Now question about whens apple gonna use Montevina.....who knows!

Few months it will be on Laptops

Maybe not 16gbs....doubt that. And even if they 4gb they'll have a faster FSB. Check:
    http://download.intel.com/products/roadmap/roadmap.pdf

i had a thread about BTO and a question about 8gbs. No such option others say....what is a SR MBP then?

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can't BTO 8gb because 4gb chips don't exist yet. And by exist, I mean exist in a medium through which Apple could procure them. The capacity is there; the technology isn't. But it'll be here soon enough.