RAM in Gaithersburg, MD???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2hondas, Jul 18, 2007.

1. 2hondas macrumors regular

Hello,

I am going to Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D.C. area) this August. I am wondering where I could buy 2 GB of RAM for my MacBook, at a good price.

I am from Canada, and I don't want to buy RAM from the USA and pay for shipping, duties, etc. from home.

Any suggestions on where to buy it?? I might buy a BT mouse too (exchange rate is awesome at the moment!) If I do buy it there, I will put the RAM inside my MacBook before heading home.

Thanks!! :)

2. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I can tell you Frederick, MD is no where near D.C. Might as well say West Virginia is in the W.DC area :p

Why don't you just order from Crucial.com or elsewhere online? Installing RAM into a notebook is a cinch even if you're of the faint of heart.

If you don't want to do it yourself I would suggest using 411.com and searching for a computer store in Frederick. There should be a BestBuy in the area, I would think.

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

can i ask why you'll be visiting the wonderful town of frederick? i've lived around here forever and not many people visit. :eek:

there is a best buy in frederick, and that's probably going to be your best bet.

and don't be scared to put the RAM in by yourself...it's super easy. if you're that scared, i'll meet you there and do it for you. :p

EDIT: FYI, crees!, i went to school in WV, and it was pretty darn close to DC. :)

4. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

OH crap! I meant, GAITHERSBURG, MD. Sorry!! I will be in Gaithersburg, not Frederick. I don't know why Frederick came into my head.

I said why I didn't want to order online in my first post...:)...And I WILL put in myself (I also said this in my first post!)

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Frederick isn't all that far away from DC, and is a pretty short drive from places that would be undoubtedly part of the DC area. If he's looking for a store to pick up the RAM in, even coming down to Gaithersburg or Rockville will be no problem.

hondas, the easiest store to get to that I trust is Absolute Mac. They are between Gaithersburg and Germantown on 355. So it wouldn't be hard to get to without getting lost. It's on the left side of the road coming from the north. But, crees is right - your cheapest option, by far, would be to order and have it shipped to you. How long will you be in Frederick - you might be able to wait until you get here or may want to order ahead of time? I just called Abs Mac for you, and they charge from $100-$175/stick depending on the make of RAM and $45 for the install, although. they will match B/M pricing for same model RAM. It's pricy enough that you really should think about the online order and self-install.

EDIT: reading some of the above posts - I still stand by my argument that you would be better off ordering onlin - just have it shipped within the US, and maybe have whomever you are visiting order if you are concerned about it appearing on you CC transaction. Heck, depending when in August you are here, I'll do it for you. I grew up in G-burg and my folks still live there. As for the mouse, Abs Mac should match Apple prices on accessories if that's what you're looking for.

EDIT AGAIN: I was just thinking - since you'll be staying in Gaithersburg, I would suggest you check this restaurant out.

6. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Typically, if you buy RAM in a brick-and-mortar store, you're going to pay a lot more then you'd pay online. If its possible, if you're visiting a friend in the US in Maryland, have them purchase the RAM for you online and ship it to them, then pick it up when you go see them.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And at that price plus exchange --- you could order from a Canadian online supplier with no border hassles, and much less of a problem if you have a warranty issue later.

8. 2hondas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I will think about my decision...

nbs2, thanks for the restaurant recommendation. We will definitely keep it in mind. :) I WILL be doing this myself... I always install RAM myself. Piece of cake.

I just found a place in town thats selling the Crucial RAM, at a cheaper price! :eek: BUT its sold out.....................