RAM in iMac has to be same size?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nobita, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Nobita macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade my friend's iMac RAM. Her model is Early 2006 (I think one of the first intel machines). She has 512MB DDR2 670Mhz RAM.

I was wondering if:
    - I have to install equal size RAM on both slots
    - I can install ram of different speeds (since the old one is 670Mhz, and perhaps the new one is 800Mhz). Is that okay?

If this helps, she's running on Tiger.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

It is advisable to have the same memory in each slot. When it's unequal, the RAM won't be used to it's full potential.

I believe that it doesn't matter if it's faster, the motherboard will be the limit. When you buy 800 Mhz, the speed will be 670 Mhz.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Make sure the RAM you get is DDR2, anything else will not fit.

5. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen those websites, and I know they are recommending equal ram sizes. However I had a computer with different ram size on their slots, so I was just wondering if this is the case for iMac as well.

So if I buy 800Mhz, I will still only get 670Mhz? It's probably the FSB isn't it?

I also don't understand what PC2-5300 is. I found someone selling something like PC-6700 on ebay, will this fit?

Thanks for the help.

6. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

We also have to make sure they're SODIMM, 200 pins, and PC2-5300, right?

7. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

DON'T buy RAM on Ebay!!!! OWC or another reputable dealer with a good return policy (and perhaps a bit of a rebate on your original RAM).

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct.

10. skeeterbud macrumors newbie

Dual or single ram for early 2006 Imac ?

Quick question folks about upgrading ram in an early 2006 Imac. I told an Ebay seller I wanted to max out the ram , they sold me a single 2G stick. As I run dual monitors for live stock charting, would I be better off with two 1G sticks of Ram? Or would there even be a noticeable difference? If a single stick will do, is there a preference as to top or bottom slot? Thanks in advance for any and all that can lend some advice.

11. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

According to http://guides.macrumors.com/Matched_RAM_on_Intel_Macs here's the advice:

12. skeeterbud macrumors newbie

OK, thanks, I guess I will just load up some charts tomorrow and see how it does. Maybe some more folks will have a few more answers on this with their experiences with an early 2006 Imac and the ram issue. Good luck, skeeterbud

13. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw I know that rams are dirt cheap these days, but in your opinion will it be generally cheaper in stores or in ebay and other online stores? I'm seeing cheap rams on ebay... (1gb stick for AU$25-30 = US$19-23)