Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Hi everyone,

I want to upgrade my friend's iMac RAM. Her model is Early 2006 (I think one of the first intel machines). She has 512MB DDR2 670Mhz RAM.

I was wondering if:
- I have to install equal size RAM on both slots
- I can install ram of different speeds (since the old one is 670Mhz, and perhaps the new one is 800Mhz). Is that okay?

If this helps, she's running on Tiger.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
It is advisable to have the same memory in each slot. When it's unequal, the RAM won't be used to it's full potential.

I believe that it doesn't matter if it's faster, the motherboard will be the limit. When you buy 800 Mhz, the speed will be 670 Mhz.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
I've seen those websites, and I know they are recommending equal ram sizes. However I had a computer with different ram size on their slots, so I was just wondering if this is the case for iMac as well.

So if I buy 800Mhz, I will still only get 670Mhz? It's probably the FSB isn't it?

I also don't understand what PC2-5300 is. I found someone selling something like PC-6700 on ebay, will this fit?

Thanks for the help.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I've seen those websites, and I know they are recommending equal ram sizes. However I had a computer with different ram size on their slots, so I was just wondering if this is the case for iMac as well.

So if I buy 800Mhz, I will still only get 670Mhz? It's probably the FSB isn't it?

I also don't understand what PC2-5300 is. I found someone selling something like PC-6700 on ebay, will this fit?

Thanks for the help.

DON'T buy RAM on Ebay!!!! OWC or another reputable dealer with a good return policy (and perhaps a bit of a rebate on your original RAM).

skeeterbud

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Texas
Dual or single ram for early 2006 Imac ?

Quick question folks about upgrading ram in an early 2006 Imac. I told an Ebay seller I wanted to max out the ram , they sold me a single 2G stick. As I run dual monitors for live stock charting, would I be better off with two 1G sticks of Ram? Or would there even be a noticeable difference? If a single stick will do, is there a preference as to top or bottom slot? Thanks in advance for any and all that can lend some advice.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
Quick question folks about upgrading ram in an early 2006 Imac. I told an Ebay seller I wanted to max out the ram , they sold me a single 2G stick. As I run dual monitors for live stock charting, would I be better off with two 1G sticks of Ram? Or would there even be a noticeable difference? If a single stick will do, is there a preference as to top or bottom slot? Thanks in advance for any and all that can lend some advice.

According to http://guides.macrumors.com/Matched_RAM_on_Intel_Macs here's the advice:

If you are comparing a 2 GB (2 x 1 GB SODIMMs) setup with a 3 GB (1 GB SODIMM + 2 GB SODIMM) setup on a Core 2 Duo Mac, the 3 GB setup loses a minor amount of speed through the loss of Dual Channel. You can gain speed however, from having the extra 1 GB of RAM available to the OS and programs.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
OK, thanks, I guess I will just load up some charts tomorrow and see how it does. Maybe some more folks will have a few more answers on this with their experiences with an early 2006 Imac and the ram issue. Good luck, skeeterbud

Btw I know that rams are dirt cheap these days, but in your opinion will it be generally cheaper in stores or in ebay and other online stores? I'm seeing cheap rams on ebay... (1gb stick for AU$25-30 = US$19-23)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.