Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Camoischaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Southern California
Right now im running leopard with 2 gigs of ram which is fine but i was on newegg.com and i found corsair ram for 35 bucks after a 40 dollar rebate. So i went off and bought it and i was wondering will this increase my video speed at all since the onboard graphics goes to the ram for power or at least i think it does.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
what does your macbook say?

Use activity monitor under utilities after using the computer like you normally do. Look and see how much free ram you've got, and see if there's any page-outs. If you don't see very much green, or see very many page outs, you're probably good.

If this is not the case, then your video memory is not starving for more ram. But, what the hey, with memory that cheap, why not?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yeah thats what i was saying it was way too cheap to pass up. But i meant will it speed up my FPS in games. Sorry i was specific about that.
It is not very likely. 2GB of RAM is plenty for the vast majority of games. Your main hindrance is the GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.