RAM install, and bonus question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shadow1psc, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Shadow1psc macrumors newbie

Hello all, long time Mac user, first time iMac owner here! Finally bought myself the 21.5" iMac and a 2x4GB RAM upgrade yesterday, going to install them tonight, and I was wondering if there is a specific way to place the two new sticks in for best results? To use the PC comparison, usually motherboard DIMM slots are AB|AB, so I would put the 4gb DIMMs in A1 and A2, and 2gb modules in B1 and B2. I know the iMac slots are instead on top of each other, so is there a correct way to configure these?

Bonus question, I also have a 500gb Firewire 800 drive coming to use with Logic 9, anyone have any tips on how best to configure Logic so it writes everything to that drive, and keeps the main drive clear for best performance? I'm coming from working in Windows and Pro Tools, which is about as far away from Apple methodology and workflow as you can get. I watched a lot of the Lynda.com Logic 9 stuff back when it came out, and what I do remember is that everything is a little easier and more intuitive, just like most Apple software. Thanks in advance!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I've never used Logic but as far as the RAM goes just pop the 2 sticks into the 2 free slots in the iMac and it'll work great. You'll open it up and see the 2 filled slots (with the default apple RAM) and 2 empty slots. Pop your new RAM into the empty slots and leave the apple RAM in.

3. mario24601 macrumors regular

For RAM, I read that would be best to move the OEM 4GBs to open slots and put new on in those...Not sure this is necessary but someone on here stated this is was to do it. I bought 4 GB modules OEM from OWC so all 4 are the same.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

This is a good question.

I kept my 2x2GB in the original slots and put a 1x4GB in an empty slot. I'm expecting a 1x4GB tomorrow, in which I had only planned to put it in the last remaining spot. At least this way both the 2x2GBs and 2x4GBs can take advantage of dual channel. But now I too am wondering if I should move the 2x2GBs to what were the empty spots and move the 2x4GBs to where the stock RAM was.

Do the first two slots take precedence? Get accessed first? Does it matter at all? I'd imagine not, or at least it'd be negligible. But good topic.

5. camardelle macrumors 6502

I'm planning an update soon so I'd like to hear an answer to this also. Good question!