RAM install not going so great.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rablat, Sep 24, 2008.

1. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

I am new to Mac's 1st off.
    I am familiar with PC's and hardware.
    So anyway I bout some RAM from crucial. Installed it into the MacBook.
    I made sure that it was properly seated.
    Fired it up and when it got to the desktop all of sudden the screen was all messup up. Screen had 1 inch wide top to bottom bars of garbled video.
    and the MacBook froze. So i restared this time it happen at the apple logo.
    anyway this went on a couple of times it would happen at different times.
    I put the apple ram back in and all is well. What's the deal? Is it just bad RAM from crucial.

2. m1stake macrumors 68000

If it does that with the Apple sticks AND the crucial sticks, it's not the crucial sticks. If that's not it, enjoy a logic board replacement on the house!

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The OP says that when he puts the Apple RAM back in everything is fine....so the fault must be the Crucial memory...

Either one or both of the sticks is DOA - try starting the MacBook up with just one stick of Crucial ram in (forget putting the battery in - it makes it quicker to just use the AC adaptor). If it starts up and runs fine with the first stick in then try the second...

Sounds like you are going to be calling Crucial..at least one of the sticks is bad

4. rablat thread starter macrumors 6502a

rablat

Well I am not sure about them being DOA because I did get it running got to the system profile and it shows both stick and says status OK then all of a sudden the garbled screen poped up and froze. It's very strange i thought RAM either worked or didn't.

5. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

It's obviously bad ram if the other ram works for you perfectly.

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It must be a Crucial RAM fault - one or both are faulty - please try them one at a time and see what happens......