Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfrandsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
So, I bought new ram today two 8gb units, 16gb all in all.

My computer is an 2,4 i5 MacBook Pro from late 2010.

The ram i bought are 1600mhz, but it says on the back that they are backwards compatible.

After installation of both units, the computer only made it to the grey screen with the apple logo and stalled. No little loading wheel appeared.

I took out one, so only one slot was free, started up the computer and it worked for a couple of minutes. The 8gb of ram were recognized at 1067 mhz. Then suddenly the computer shut down. Also got very hot, maybe overheated.

Tried several times, same problem, computer crashed.

I am now back to using my 2x2gb, and the computer is running again - so, should I return the ram for something different, did I do something wrong or what is the deal?

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

The ram i bought are 1600mhz, but it says on the back that they are backwards compatible.

After installation of both units, the computer only made it to the grey screen with the apple logo and stalled. No little loading wheel appeared.

I took out one, so only one slot was free, started up the computer and it worked for a couple of minutes. The 8gb of ram were recognized at 1067 mhz. Then suddenly the computer shut down. Also got very hot, maybe overheated.

Tried several times, same problem, computer crashed.

I am now back to using my 2x2gb, and the computer is running again - so, should I return the ram for something different, did I do something wrong or what is the deal?

Whoa. Pretty sure your notebook only supports up to 8GB of 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM. Get your ram from here.

Also, I'm not a ram technology buff, but I'm also pretty sure that multiple speed compatibility is something you'd be looking at only if you were tinkering with a PC BIOS, not a mac.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

8GB maximum RAM on those computers, unfortunately. I can't say for sure whether or not the faster RAM works properly on those, though, but you're out of luck trying to use 16GB no matter what.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.