RAM/Internet & Audio to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VFN, Mar 27, 2014.

1. VFN macrumors member

My folks have a MacBook Pro made in 2009. Lately loading sites on the Net has been slow. They took it to an Apple store, the guy ran diagnostics, and he advised increasing RAM above the 2GB it came with. Does that seem like proper advice?

Second, because their Pro was made in 2009 they can't get audio to the TV through the HDMI and adapter. Can they get audio by hooking an AV line from the earphone jack to the AV audio inputs in their TV?

Thanks all.

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Very good advice. An SSD would give it a good speed boost too.

If the TV has a 1/8" jack you should be good to go. If not, you might need an adapter. But it all really depends on if the TV can handle HDMI with a separate audio input and if you can get a compatible audio cable.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Impossible to say given what was provided. There are other threads that cover how to determine if one can benefit from more RAM.

4. VFN thread starter macrumors member

Well, my parents bought 8GB of RAM so when they install it we'll see. I know very little about computers but I was surprised that RAM could cause slow site loading. The Apple guy said that the Mac firmware updates may be causing the RAM problem which I can see, but I just have trouble believing that's what's going on.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

If sites are loading slowly it could be slow internet speeds, but with that little RAM upgrading it is sure to help, than you go from there.

6. VFN thread starter macrumors member

It isn't slow internet as I was able to do a side-by-side with an Ipad. I'll get back when they install the RAM.

Thanks for the replies. :)

7. VFN thread starter macrumors member

Well, they put it in themselves and say it's working better, so I suppose RAM was an issue. We'll see if things continue to work.

Thanks for all the replies. Great resource here.

8. VFN thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying that a TV may not accept audio input if a HDMI is being used at the same time even if that HDMI is not supplying sound as is the the case here?

Thanks.

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It might not, it should, but the way TVs are made these days it could be fussy.

10. VFN thread starter macrumors member