RAM is at 40-50%, help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SleekB, Jun 8, 2012.

1. SleekB macrumors member

SleekB

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's basically a bunch of stuff cached up in your ram for quick access. Windows will sort it out if you run a something that requires a ton of memory, so it's nothing to worry about.

3. SleekB thread starter macrumors member

SleekB

yeah but my RAM was never that high and suddenly it all the way at 50%..

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Are you running off a fresh install, or were you doing your thing for months on end, and it suddenly decided to spike up to 50% just out of the blue?

Also, are you on XP, or Vista/7? Also, how much ram do you have onboard?

5. SleekB thread starter macrumors member

SleekB

vista, 4gb ram.

i have been running the same for a few years now.. cleaning my computer once in a while, dont really do much besides internet here and there.

im pretty good with computers so stay in control of the performance for the main part. this ram issue suddenly kicked in about a month ago.. i just never had time to ask, i though maybe doing what i mention i tried doing already wouldve been the common reply to my question anyways.. but apparently not. looks like there might be somethings big loading my computer and the antivirous and all the cleaning doesnt see it ?

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Like I said before, what Vista and 7 usually do is take any regularly used programs and queue them into memory. On average, a 2-4GB machine will be idling around 35-50% memory used. At first glance, your issue doesn't seem like an issue at all. It's just what Windows does by default.

But if it only recently started doing it...I dunno. What percentage did it used to stick around at?

7. SleekB thread starter macrumors member

SleekB

5-10% tops..
    i dont think 50% is reasonable.. 30% i would understand but 50 is too much
    something is wrong i know it :confused:

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

5-10% is too low for a Vista line OS. It'll always try to buffer up at least 35-40% of your memory while you're on the desktop. I've only ever seen it drop below 10% was after using a memory intensive program that ate up all my ram, and that was all that's still resident when it finishes. Afterwards, it'll fill back up to 35-40% again over a minute or so.

50%, while a little on the high side, isn't all that unusual. As long as it's not running slowly, I'd say it's doing what it usually does.

To be on the safe side though, post a picture of your task manager, and I'll see if I can spot anything weird at a glance (use the regular task manager. That thing you took a screenshot of makes my eyeballs hurt). Also, go ahead and run Malwarebytes Antimalware. I doubt you've got a bug, but it can't hurt for peace of mind.

9. cgk.emu macrumors 6502

You seem to have an arbitrary number in your mind of what reasonable RAM usage is. 4GB is NOT a lot of RAM these days.