RAM is soldered in RMBP

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I dropped by the Apple Store today to look at the Retina MBP in person - it was sweet! I asked the Apple employee next to me about upgrading the RAM. He says it's easy to do and is NOT soldered to the motherboard like the MBA.

I said "Are you sure?... I read online that it was soldered like the MBA." He says "That's what I thought too, but it is upgradeable." He said "you can even upgrade it yourself at a later time."

Are all the Apple employees this naive? iFixit tore it down and said it's soldered to the motherboard. Why are the Apple employees claiming it's not?

:confused::confused::confused:

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
They're freaking retarded. The argument is done with. ifixit already has done the teardown, its SOLDERED....case closed!!

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
It seems like Apple employees were really uninformed with the launch. I don't necessarily blame them, because they didn't know about the RMBPs until we did, but I wish the managers would at least take the time to educate the workers.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I dropped by the Apple Store today to look at the Retina MBP in person - it was sweet! I asked the Apple employee next to me about upgrading the RAM. He says it's easy to do and is NOT soldered to the motherboard like the MBA.

I said "Are you sure?... I read online that it was soldered like the MBA." He says "That's what I thought too, but it is upgradeable." He said "you can even upgrade it yourself at a later time."

Are all the Apple employees this naive?
It's possible the rep was referring to the non-retina MBP. If not, they were simply wrong. It's important to remember than "Genius" is only their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge, experience or expertise. Also, they are not given advance information about new releases, so while they should be aware of the details, they're learning at the same time we are.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Sounds like he might have got confused with the SSD. Not very good though, he should have been trained on this kind of thing.

Imagine another customer had believed that and went to upgrade say 2 years later?

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
They're freaking retarded.
ROFL, at least this guy was. It's not rocket science boys. He should have known this though. I guess the employees really are kept in the dark, even though I've always thought they've known details before the general public.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
ROFL, at least this guy was. It's not rocket science boys. He should have known this though. I guess the employees really are kept in the dark, even though I've always thought they've known details before the general public.
I fail to understand why they are not educated on new products from the get go. It doesn't take that long to learn about the specs of a new product and answers to basic questions like "is the ram upgradeable."

calderone

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2009
Seattle
They have no idea about new products until Apple announces them.

Some store managers MIGHT get advanced notice. Typically that amounts to "beef up your staffing for these dates." Specifically for iPad, iPhone launches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.