RAM is soldered in RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by insimbi, Jun 14, 2012.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I dropped by the Apple Store today to look at the Retina MBP in person - it was sweet! I asked the Apple employee next to me about upgrading the RAM. He says it's easy to do and is NOT soldered to the motherboard like the MBA.

I said "Are you sure?... I read online that it was soldered like the MBA." He says "That's what I thought too, but it is upgradeable." He said "you can even upgrade it yourself at a later time."

Are all the Apple employees this naive? iFixit tore it down and said it's soldered to the motherboard. Why are the Apple employees claiming it's not?

:confused::confused::confused:

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

They're freaking retarded. The argument is done with. ifixit already has done the teardown, its SOLDERED....case closed!!

3. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

It seems like Apple employees were really uninformed with the launch. I don't necessarily blame them, because they didn't know about the RMBPs until we did, but I wish the managers would at least take the time to educate the workers.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible the rep was referring to the non-retina MBP. If not, they were simply wrong. It's important to remember than "Genius" is only their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge, experience or expertise. Also, they are not given advance information about new releases, so while they should be aware of the details, they're learning at the same time we are.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Sounds like he might have got confused with the SSD. Not very good though, he should have been trained on this kind of thing.

Imagine another customer had believed that and went to upgrade say 2 years later?

6. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

ROFL, at least this guy was. It's not rocket science boys. He should have known this though. I guess the employees really are kept in the dark, even though I've always thought they've known details before the general public.

7. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I fail to understand why they are not educated on new products from the get go. It doesn't take that long to learn about the specs of a new product and answers to basic questions like "is the ram upgradeable."

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

They have no idea about new products until Apple announces them.

Some store managers MIGHT get advanced notice. Typically that amounts to "beef up your staffing for these dates." Specifically for iPad, iPhone launches.