iPhone X Ram issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Apr 15, 2018.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

A few iterations ago of iPhone....the phone finally had enough RAM where I was able to start a text and then switch to something else and come back to it and have the message I had started still be there. Since then, that aspect of my phones have become worse and worse and now with my X it really cannot do that. I start a text and then if I check anything else like email, I come back and nothing is there. Am I doing something wrong? Should I reset my phone?

2. IowaLynn, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Maybe reset and this time set it up as new. Give that a day or two. Restoring from backup and bringing old problems and files. Also if from 11.0 to 11.3.

Examples. Screenshot of memory. Specific scenario app(s). Group chat with heavy media or just text. Long, old iMessage thread. All the time you see this?

3. Patcell macrumors 6502

I have noticed that my iPhone X holds considerably less apps in active memory than my 7 Plus did. They have the same 3GB of RAM... is there that much more OS overhead with the X (gesture controls, higher resolution display, etc)?

It has been very frustrating since upgrading to iPhone X... with my 7 Plus I was able to start watching a YouTube video, switch to messages app and send a text, then go to email app and read a message, and when I went back to YouTube, my video would be right where I left it. Not even close on the iPhone X.

I totally believe in hardware/ software optimization and how less resources are needed because of the way Apple designes the hardware around the software. But, this is a bummer from an end-user perspective.

4. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

It's the 6+ situation all over again. The X is gimped on RAM. Next iPhone will have 4gb and it will multi task just fine (as the case was for 6S doubling the RAM)

5. now i see it macrumors 68030

Just a wild guess here (probably totally wrong) but the X may use extra RAM due to FaceID using it up. Always active.

6. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Likely uses a separate chip and store FID outside system memory.

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Keeping a typed up message in memory while you use another app for a bit before you come back is something that even a 1 GB device has been able to do in most cases.

8. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I have no problem doing the things mentioned in posts 1 and 3. Maybe something else going on---

9. Patcell macrumors 6502

I may try a restore and set up as new device then. I enjoy the X, but I’ve been frustrated with the lack of multitasking ability. Constantly reloading apps...