RAM Issues After Upgrading 2007 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Crell Vorlem, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Crell Vorlem macrumors newbie

Hello

I just purchased two 2GB sticks of DDR2 SODIMM 200 pin RAM for my Mid 2007 iMac. Before it had two 1GB sticks which worked but after installing this new RAM, I'm unable to get this iMac to boot. When I press the power button, I get no RAM error beeps or boot chime and the screen is black. I can hear the fans and HD powering on though.

The odd thing is, I tried putting one of the old 1GB sticks in along with a new 2GB stick and my iMac booted up fine and said it had 3GBs of RAM.

I tested both new sticks of RAM to see if one was faulty and they both worked when testing one along with the old RAM.

What would cause this sort of problem?

Thanks for any help

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That problem could be caused by not pushing the ram in far enough, using the wrong type, or having defective ram.

3. Crell Vorlem thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked to make sure it was pushed in far enough so that's not the issue.

I doubt it's the wrong type of RAM since it works when used with the old RAM and all the specs match up correctly.

If the RAM was defective, why would the sticks work individually when used along with the old RAM?

4. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I had the same problem and it all turned out to be related to the speed of the RAM. The new RAM was rated higher speed than what my iMac could handle. When you mix them, they're still within acceptable limit, but when you fill all rows with the new RAM the system can't handle it.

5. Crell Vorlem thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. I'll return this RAM and get some with the proper speed. Thank you.

6. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

It was driving us crazy and we googled this over and over so I'm hoping in the future, people will find this post.