RAM Issues in 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ghsNick, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ghsNick, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Ok so I've been having weird crashes and restarts ever since I installed my OWC RAM a couple months ago...my iMac seems to be worse with it.

This is the RAM I got...I know I didn't get the Samsung brand but the brand I got in mine was 2 x 2GB of ELPIDA so I thought the OWC Brand would work just fine.

I thought that maybe the Banks were mismatched...but if you look at all four slots there are two top slots and two bottom slots. My iMac RAM (ELPIDA) came with both inserted in the top slots. S I obviously inserted my OWC RAM in the two empty bottom slots. All four slots had 2GB of RAM so its was all symmetrical (2X2 on the top and 2X2 on the bottom).

I realized the banks weren't listed correctly. So I JUST went in and put both my OWC RAM on the two right slots (top and bottom) and ELPIDA RAM on the two left slots (top and bottom).

So with that this is what I have...are my banks correctly lined up now? I'm going to see if this fixes the problem

Because what I'm reading in this thread and Apple's website I put them in wrong. But that had to do with different numbers of RAM mixing with each other...mine are all 2GB. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. majkom macrumors 65816

It is quite possible that those 4 moduls cant work together in your imac - had similar problem when updating from 4gigs to 8 gigs - i had one original apple ram and one from authorised resseler - since upgrading, imac kept crashing... so I have tried another modul from reseller - no change, imac kept crashing.. finally my reseller told me to bring back original apple modul, their module and gave me full set of moduls - since that, no crash for one year... so, my advice, try to use only those new modules without original one, if imac is stable, buy next OWC modules and it should work.

BTW - try tu run extended apple hw test - it will tell you, whether RAM is problem (but, it is highly probable)

3. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Hmmm makes me wonder if I installed wrong myself. I did two 8gb stick on outside towards front monitor. Then put the stock 2gb sticks in the rear. 20 gb total been fine so far but wonder if I need to change out. It reads 20 gb dunno any help here

4. majkom macrumors 65816

looks OK for me... if you are not experiencing any problems, why to worry?

5. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I'm curious to see what you find out. I just ordered a 2011 iMac and plan to upgrade the RAM in the near future. I was going to go w/ OWC or Corsair myself..