RAM issues? (Late 2008 MB (aluminum))

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclaw21, Oct 29, 2013.

1. maclaw21 macrumors regular

My late 2008 MB (aluminum) runs a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Due and has 4GB of RAM (it came with 2 GB; I upgraded to 4 GB about a year into ownership).

I run a free program called Memory Clean, which monitors the amount of free memory available. (The app is available in the App Store if you'd like to take a closer look.) Within the past few months I've noticed that I'm burning up 4 GB of memory and need to "clean" it for a boost. When my memory gets low, performance starts to suffer/become sluggish.

Is this a common issue? Is there something I should be doing differently? I was always under the impression that RAM was not a significant consideration for Macs vis-a-vis Windows PCs. My recent experience seems to contradict this.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

2. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

Which version of OS X are you running? I would recommend installing iStat Pro (free) and looking at what it says for memory usage. I would also look into putting 8GB RAM in it.

3. maclaw21 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running mavericks. This issue reared its head well before I upgraded.

I'm not sure I can upgrade to 8gb. Am I wrong?

4. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

You can put 8GB in it, that's what I'm running right now. No issues. I'm on Mavericks, too. Do you have an SSD or the stock HDD? There might be a problem there if it's slow sometimes.

5. maclaw21 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running a HDD. I will look into upgrading the RAM. Anything from a software side?

6. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I would say to stop using Memory Clean, and also check activity monitor to see what programs are using the most RAM.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Mavericks handles memory differently from previous versions of OS X. It will use whatever free memory is available but it will also free it up when apps need it. As long as you do not have a high number of Page Outs, you don't really need to add more RAM.

Also, in Mavericks, there is really no reason to run apps like Memory Clean anymore.

8. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I have never run that type of application, my friend swears by it on his iMac (i3 w/ 4GB RAM running Mountain Lion), but he doesn't know his password for the Apple ID used (his uncle's) so he can't go Mavericks. I'm thinking about giving him the installer on a flash drive.

9. maclaw21 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I determine the number of page outs I have? And what is considered high?

Thank you.

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Personally, I use iStat Menu to keep track of a number of things in my system, including memory usage. Activity Monitor comes with every version of OS X and will also tell you how many page outs you have. I'm sure there are tons of apps that have this functionality.

Ideally, you want page outs to stay at zero. If you regularly see page outs, it's a sign that more RAM might be a good idea.

11. maclaw21 thread starter macrumors regular

Activity Monitor in Mavericks does not contain a Page Out statistics, but my Swap Used is 0 bytes. So I take it I needn't worry?

Thanks.

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, nothing to worry about.