Ram issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by venomgt95, May 8, 2014.

1. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

venomgt95

i have a 4th gen touch and iOS 6 sucks on it. my apps always crash, it lags like freaking crazy. i love my 4th gen but it gets really frustrating sometimes. can someone help me with my RAM? like why is so little free?

Attached Files:

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

There is so little free because of what iOS 6 takes up, and the fact that the iPod touch only has 256MB, and a retina display. This means higher resolution images need to be loaded into memory for everything from the UI in the OS to the apps. Something like the iPhone 3Gs that has very similar hardware is actually a little smoother because it only has 1/4 the pixels to push and load vs the iPod with the same GPU and RAM.

The only real solution is to downgrade back to iOS 4. Either 4.2.1 or 4.3.3/5. I run mine on 4.2.1 because I don't care about apps too much, it's very fast, and it plays music for a week in my car on a single charge.

Of course, this isn't possible for very many because it requires SHSH blobs, either saved by you, or saved via Cydia if you jailbroke it in the past.

So really, a clean, full restore is the only decent option. Then you could jailbreak it and disable un needed daemons and strip out unnecessary files. But that only goes so far. Other than that, sell it for what you can, and get a refurb or wait on the next model. Or a used smartphone is a good option.

3. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

Its funny because i have an iPhone 3GS also. And i am not jailbreaking my ipod. I refuse. I also dont want to do a restore on it because i just recently put all my music from my ipod nano on my touch. And it all got deleted so if i restored my ipod, i would lose all my music. Allthough i could just pull the music files from my nano like i did before, but that would require my own computer. (Which i dont have)

Is there a way to free up RAM without restoring?

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Well, you can reboot. Or hard reboot (home + power) and sometimes that helps a little. Once upon a time (iPhone 3g) disabling spotlight also helped.

But really, in modern OS's free RAM is wasted RAM. But this is much more applicable to newer devices with 1GB+. Like the way OS X and iOS 7 handle it. On low memory devices though, loading an app and having the system purge the RAM all the time is part of what creates all the lag. For example, take an iPhone 4 (800MHz A4, 512MB RAM) and an iPod touch 4g (800MHz A4, 256MB RAM) and on the same iOS version such as 6.1.3, the iPhone is miles faster. But if you do a straight up benchmark, they're exactly the same as far as CPU/GPU goes. The added RAM boosts real world performance considerably. But we already know that :rolleyes:

So in the end, not much you can do. On iOS 6 with lots of music and apps, it will lag. Just the way it is sadly :(

5. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

i do have alot of apps (26 to be exact) could my extensive music library be an issue? :confused: im only 23 songs short of 1000. (my touch is 32 GB in case your wondering)

6. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

here are the figures for my iPhone

Attached Files:

7. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I don't that that would be it then. I've had over 100 apps at one point, and I have 8,500 songs. I have noticed the music app tends to slow down a bit once you're around 3,000 or so however. This is all an iOS 6 thing though. On 4.2 with all 8,500 on there it's smooth as butter. Darn Apple having to ruin all our buttery smoothness.

With the 32GB I think you're probably as good as it'll get. I've seen the 8GB ones be way worse off because of so little free space.

8. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

i do have alot of free space....ive never had less than 12GB free on that thing haha

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS is designed to work with as little as 50MB of free space. It doesn't work any better or worse if you have 50GB or 50MB of free space.

10. $M.H$ macrumors member

If apple put a downgrade option for old devices
    That will fix the problem !
    But **** thy would not
    When my iPod touch 5 was runing ios 6 it was great & fast
    In ios 7 it sucks , lags & the battery drain very fast ! :(

11. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Taxing software updates like iOS 4, 5 and 7 are progress, and they are needed take advantage of power in newer hardware. A6 hardware is 3x faster than the A5 iPod touch, and A7 hardware is 6x faster. Also, intuitively, new software features require more hardware resources. If you want performance, keep the OS that comes with your device. It's that simple, and it's easy to see. Look how much operating systems and computer hardware have progressed the last few decades, and extrapolate this into the future.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Isn't the A6 2x faster than the A5?

13. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

It is technically a bit over 3 times faster. Look here: http://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

A7 = almost 2x A6
    A6 = over 3x A5
    A5 = 2x A4
    A4 = 1.4x A3

14. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I remember seeing the older GeekBench 2 putting it at 2x, must have really updated its benchmarks. Explains why the 5 can handle MKV a lot better than the 4s can, though I've noticed most 3D applications only see a 2x increase (DS emulator 4s: 20 FPS 5: 40 FPS) but that's probably due to GPU rather than CPU.

15. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Yes, both the A6 chip upgrade and the A7 chip upgrade increased GPU performance 2x or more for many tasks.

Here are some iPhone 5 and 5s GPU details:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/11
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/7