RAM killed motherboard?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by MacManX, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MacManX macrumors member

I installed two 4GB DDR3 1600MHz modules in my son's Mac mini Core i5 2.3 (Mid-2011) that, according to EveryMac, supports up to two 8GB DDR3 1333MHz modules.
    This worked just fine, for a week. Then the mini just "died". It does not start at all.
    Can this have killed the motherboard in some way, overheating or something like that?

Please help!

2. JamSandwich macrumors regular

Not very likely. It's possible that you got a bad stick of RAM, though. So try reinstalling the original memory and see what happens. Also make sure the new RAM is seated properly.

If you did damage to the motherboard during installation the issue would have likely emerged immediately...

3. SoCalReviews, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't recommend installing RAM that is out of spec from the manufacturer's recommendations. There is a possibility that running faster memory taxed the system. However, I have read that people have successfully installed and ran the 1600Mhz RAM in their 2011 Minis. Therefore as it has already been noted... try reinstalling the original RAM before jumping to any conclusions.

Also check to see if the spec of the new 1600Mhz RAM is rated at 1.5v, 1.35v (low voltage) or dual 1.5/1.35v RAM. The 1333Mhz 1.5v RAM was the common spec standard used in the 2011 Macs before 1.35v was available. It could be possible that one or more of the RAM sticks went bad.