RAM limit for Rev. H (Mid 2009) white MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ivppiter, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ivppiter macrumors newbie

I have a question regarding the actual maximal amount of RAM you can use with the Rev. H (Mid 2009) Polycarbonate MacBook (model : MC240*/A).

The thing is, this specific model is nowhere to be found on the table of the http://guides.macrumors.com/Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM page. This was the last original polycarbonate design MacBook and the only of its kind to use 800 MHz PC2-6400 RAM. It also had a Penryn Core2Duo and a 1066Mhz FSB.
    According to the table linked above it would mean that the actual RAM limit is of 4 GB. That is if you ignore the fact that the table says there is no such MacBook. On the other side MacTracker says this model can accept up to 6GB of RAM (which would be the equal amount older MacBooks with a 800Mhz FSB accepted).

Note that the same question should be asked for the older Rev. G (Early 2009) Polycarbonate MacBook (model : MB881*/A), which also has a 1066Mhz FSB but uses slower 667 MHz PC2-5300 RAM.

If anyone could enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's the non-unibody MB, then the limit is 6GB

3. ivppiter thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I first thought too, but since the above linked table says "Core2Duo 1066 FSB (800 MHz RAM)" Macs have a limit of 4GB I thought, maybe this model is an exception... Which would not be all that absurd given the fact that this model must have a different logic board to accept the 800Mhz RAM...

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

4GB is the official limit stated by Apple. 3rd parties have been able to install 6GB which works fine, thus you may see 4GB somewhere and 6GB on some other place.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products with Mactracker, which lists maximum RAM for your model as:
    6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

6GB is the maximum

I have a 2.13GHz MacBook (MC240) running 6GB of PC5300 ram and my son has the same model running 6GB of PC6400 ram. Both work perfectly.

Apparently it will start up ok with 8GB in it but crashes whenever it tries to access anything over 4GB (I have not tried it though...)