RAM: Matched vs Unmatched Pairs vs Too Much

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CMD is me, Dec 4, 2007.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I'd like to maximize the performance of my "Late '06" MBP. The max recognized RAM in a Core 2 Duo is 3.3GB. The MR guide says that matched pair memory gives a 6-8% performance boost. So of the following options which will be significantly better (no crashing, less spinning wheel, etc) for CS3 work:

1GB OEM + 1GB (OWC, OCZ, etc) = 2GB matched
    1GB OEM + 2GB (OWC, OCZ, etc) = 3GB unmatched
    2 x 2GB matched OWC, OCZ, etc = 4GB matched, but over the hardware limit

Thanks

2. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Get the 4GB. You can then use that memory when/if you get a new MBP (unless Apple/Intel has transitioned to DDR3 by then).

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I currently have 1GB OEM and 2GB OCZ RAM and considering getting a matching OCZ if I can find one. Not sure if it matters if the RAM is from the same manufacture or not.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

As long as it's the same spec, it'll be fine.

5. sjobs@mac.com macrumors member

If it is 1 Gb OEM you got 2X512. YOu will need to replace both sticks no matter what unless you wan 1.5 or 2.5 GB. You either go with 1GBX2 or 2GbX2. For Photoshop the more memory the merrier.

6. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure how my MBP came from Apple since I bought it used, but there is 1-1GB (OEM I assume) and 1-2GB (OCZ). Also the OCZ says its 5400 not 5300. Does that matter? I've read 5300 and 5400 is the same.

7. moez macrumors regular

Usually (or I should say sometimes) refurbished have extra RAM.... when I bought my Blackbook, i got 2GB instead of 1 so you got lucky in that case.

And yes 5300 and 5400 are the same.

If u already have 3GB of ram do u really need another .3gb (300MB) of more ram?

8. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

I do run CS3 with a few supporting apps, but don't really need the extra 300MB of RAM. Mainly I'm looking for what will give me the best performance and reliability. If there isn't much gain in either to go with 2 matched sticks then I'd rather not spend the extra. Of course if I do then I'll have RAM to sell so maybe someone wants to talk me into it ; )

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

IIRC the last time I saw a benchmark the difference with matched and unmatched pairs was only something like 5-10%, and that was under a stressed benchmark. So the total improvement will probably not noticeable.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

That number is the bandwidth the memory works at. So the 5300 chips can run up to 5.3GB/s (or therabouts). The 5400 can do 5.4GB/s (or thereabouts). The higher the number the faster the memory. It is tied to the bus speed of the RAM.

11. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that mean ideally 5300 and 5400 shouldn't be used together?

12. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Technically no. But in practice it doesn't matter. It seems like some companies are just rounding up as oppose to rounding down. I find it annoying, personally. I would rather go based on the actual speed of the memory like we used to use (back in the PC100, PC133 days). Much easier in my opinion.

13. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. It was easier back then. You only had a handful of RAM suppliers and they were all over price ; ) Now RAM is everywhere and cheap, but cheap isn't always better. I'm temped to just go with 2 matching 2GBs and know everything works together... of course don't want 2 cheap sticks either.