RAM MHz question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Synergie, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Synergie, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

Synergie macrumors 6502a

I upgraded my mid 2009 MBP today to 8 GB RAM. I used Lexar (since that's all Best Buy had locally in stock in 4 GB modules) Everything I read lead me to believe that my MBP required 1066 MHz RAM. This Lexar RAM had BOTH 1066 MHz and 1333 MHz written on the package. I asked just to be sure.... and was assured that it would automatically just run at the required 1066 MHz in my MBP.

Well... take a look at the attached pic! System Information says it's running at 1333 MHz!??? Is that bad?? Will anything happen to it like overheating damage to system? It seems to be working fine... the only issue I had at all was I had to reset the SMC after the upgrade because I had a sleep / wake issue (wouldn't wake after opening lid) but since the SMC reset it's been fine.

I am just worried about the 1333 MHz....

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4293/screenykw.jpg

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple puts slower RAM in some Macs. This is to keep costs down. It does not make any noticeable difference in terms of speed. It will not harm your Macbook Pro in any way if the speed is a bit faster than Apple's RAM speed.

3. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I have 1333" MHz in my 2009 13" MBP and it runs fine. No problems so far.

4. Synergie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay thanks so much for the response... I can exhale now :) I'm assuming that the MHz had nothing do with the sleep / wake issue I had a couple times earlier. That seems fine now too since I reset the SMC.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

It will be fine. If there was a problem with it the MBP just wouldn't accept the RAM. Recently had that issue with my MBP. Tried to put in 1333mhz RAM and it wouldn't boot and continually made a really loud beeping noise, not good :mad:.