RAM modules must all be of the same manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Freeþinker, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Freeþinker macrumors member

I want to know if the wool is being pulled over my eyes by OWC. The site says that their 4GB modules for a Mac Pro Intel Xeon Quad-Core 2.66MHz can only be put into the tower if the original Apple modules are first removed. Something makes me think that this is a salesman's bluff. Anyone know for sure? Sorry if an answer to this question has already been given elsewhere.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566D3MPE4GB/

2. Shademaster macrumors member

Hm I do not know about that. I do know there was no problem with my 8 core 3.0 with OWC RAM. I put 2x4gb OWC next to 4x1gb Apple without any problems.

3. OWCMichael macrumors newbie

OWCMichael

Hello Freeþinker. The note that your particular memory module (OWC8566D3MPE4GB) is not compatible with Apple or other 3rd party memory chips is not from our sales or marketing departments but rather straight from our testing department. That specific module performed flawlessly when only that specific part number was installed. When added to the system with other modules, some tests resulted in kernal panics or system hangs which nobody really wants.

Shademaster's Mac Pro 3.0GHz machine takes PC6400 DDR2 memory and not the PC8500 DDR3 memory modules in question.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Thank you for the clarification Michael; I've got 12GB (3x4GB) ordered from you guys and wondered myself whether I could mix and match the stock 1GB DIMMs from my '09 MP. Glad to see that OWC is perusing the boards.

5. Fomaphone macrumors regular

OWC Michael, i've got a question for you.

why are RAM prices for the 09 mac pros astronomical? when do you expect the 4gb sticks to come down... ideally to around $25 per gig?